mystery wood knife handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mystery wood knife handle

pulled the log out of a misquite pile but im thinking its something else,no idea what,its definatly a hard wood,was tough to sand,any ideas??really awsome looking pics really dont do justice
    Attached Files

Looks like mesquite burl. Beautiful.

Comment

That's a beauty

Comment

what it looks like to me is really old semi-petrified mesquite wood you can find it south texas the best where its dry so things dont rot as fast and will be there for years after the tree is dead they get really dark from mineral deposits.

Comment

I'd say Mesquite root ball. Got some that is gorgeous but you'll play heck trying to cut it with a bandsaw.

Comment

Originally posted by tallnhairy View Post
            I'd say Mesquite root ball. Got some that is gorgeous but you'll play heck trying to cut it with a bandsaw.
            i cut this from a round log,but it was heck to cut with the bandsaw,wood from the same pile was red in color,but it could have came from west texas,not quite sure,most of the log is cracked up so maybe it is just older than the other stuff,the other wood had bugs in it when i cut it but this log didnt,maybe it was simi petrified,just wish i had a bunch more

Comment

Did the log look like it had a growth or warts on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
                Did the log look like it had a growth or warts on it?
                Not sure.no bark and old and weathered

Comment

That's just straight up Mesquite, you can tell by the grain, but looks great. That is the one thing I like about mesquite, each piece is different. I can take a one inch piece for slabs split if down the middle and each side is different.

Comment

Here's a knife I sold several weeks ago, the bolster and the handle are from the same tree, the bloster is burl and the handle is not, that's the nice thing about mesquite, like opening a Christmas present, never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Looks like mesquite to me. Beautiful knife.

Comment

mesquite

Comment

[QUOTE=Bjankowski;6729982]Here's a knife I sold several weeks ago, the bolster and the handle are from the same tree, the bloster is burl and the handle is not, that's the nice thing about mesquite, like opening a Christmas present, never know what you're going to get.

Ain't it the truth--but I can say the same about walnut if it is old-growth crotch or stump wood--it can take your breath away. Have a friend who makes mesquite mantles and furniture. I prowl through his burn pile and find some real treasure--but then I'm only looking for pieces large enough for knife scales or for pistol grips.

Comment

Not sure what kind of wood it is but I love the knife. I would love to have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X