Using R-Panel to skin a Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using R-Panel to skin a Blind?

forgive me for my ignorance as I have never used sheet metal in my life for anything and since it is not flat I have some concerns with skinning my newly constructed blind with it, but would like to have the longevity of the sheet metal on the outside. The only way to make the blind tight without having openings to the inside of the blind is going to be to skin it in plywood or something like that and then attach the sheet metal to that correct?

There is no way to attach the sheet metal to the studs/frame directly and it be without gaps on the outside edges where the R-panel rises up correct?

Has anybody skinned their blind with Smartboard? I am wondering if it would last longer than plywood/fiber board

Ive done 2.

Get a case of spray foam, and some sheets of 1/2" foam board, and go town!

Comment

Yep, "great stuff" foam, and they also make foam closures that fit the profile of the R-panel both underneath, and on top. Well placed flashing also helps, and they have trip for just about every transition. I used "U-Panel" on the boat trailer blind, because the ridges aren't nearly as tall.

Comment

I made my wife a 4'x8' blind on 8' legs with 25 year smart siding. Deerview windows and R-panel 3rd's for roof. Pitched it by ripping 2x6's. The tower utilized the riser kit from academy and 4"x4"x8' legs. If you want it to last use screws and paint. IMO

Comment

Metal Mart has camoflaged tin. Has a 20 year warranty on it so it should look the same for a long time.

Comment

Buy some of the foam closures when you buy the r panel. And some foam in a can deals up great. Then 1/2" foam insulation board glued to the inside straight to the r panel.

This is a random link to a pic of the closures.

This was my blind build.
            Last edited by TheGeneral; 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I don't like sheet metal on a blind i usually brush my blinds in and stuff hitting it is way too noisy. You can buy a corrugated rubber panel from Lowes that's way better and they have the closure strips

Comment

use j-channel at corners and run metal horizontally
                the ribs will flush to inside of j channel
                use 2 per corner

Comment

I did one this year. It was noisy as heck. If ihad to do it over again, I would put rubber between any spot the wood touches the r panel.

Comment

Working...
                  X