a question for the machinist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a question for the machinist

A couple years ago I got started building my own screw in broadheads. I have refined the process over time and developed jigs to control the process. The only part I am not happy with is the process of cutting a slot in a field point to accept the blade. I built a rig that allows me to cut it in a controlled manor with a cut off wheel in an angle grinder. However, I'm just not getting the level of precision that I am after.

So my question is, could an approximately 3/64 wide slot be milled in a field point? I don't see why it couldn't but I'm not very familiar with mill work.

Educate me please.

Don't know what level of precision you need. Never tried to machine a field point so don't know how hard they are. I would use a slitting saw if the material is not too hard.

Comment

What is a slitting saw? They aren't that hard. I guess I want perfect precision. There are too many variables in my current setup to produce identical results.

Comment

Looks like a small circular saw blade. Usually 2-3" in diamter. Usually mounted on an arbor in averical mill. Sometimes calles a jewlers saw.

Comment

Slitting saw or keo cutter would do the job. Would be simple enough to do. Pm me exactly what you're wanting to do. I've got access to all the tooling needed. Can also make and
          Kind of field tip

Comment

Slitting saw would be the way to go.

Comment

As small of a diameter as possible.

Comment

Yes it can be done on a mill you will just have to make sure you have a good fixture to hold field tip and make sure that the tool is carbide

Comment

Working...
                X