welding equipment question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welding equipment question?

hey guys I am new here but have a couple questions for the local welding guru's around here, I started welding last fall at college but had to drop out due to health issues. As I was in a motorcycle wreck 2yrs ago an broke my left leg and dislocated my right hip so I'm disabled, but have experience welding with 6011,7018, oxy acetylene and wanted to get back in it and make firepits and smokers...etc. what would be a good machine to start with for this kind of stuff?

Im just someone in a highschool ag shop class but my plan is to join the navy seabee's and weld for them. We use millers and there great seems like they'll last forever but my grandad has a lincoln and its good too.

Comment

When I bought my Miller in '04 I bought the 210 cause it was big enough to handle anything I've welded. Spend the money and get a good one (they are just like bows and everyone has their preference) especially if you're gonna be building pits/smokers for years to come.

Comment

PBFrijoles is right on the money it depends. I have welded with a 175, 210 & 252, if your not going to be welding real thick material lets say under 3/8 and your gonna be welding alot id say get a 210. If you wanna stay cheap and see how business goes, get a 175-180 they are cheaper and can weld good. I personally have a 175 in my shop right now, but all i have it for is fixing farm equipment and building gates, etc here and there.

Comment

how hard is mig welding? I only have experience with stick and oxy for now

Comment

Mig is pretty easy to learn.

Comment

MY OPINION, if you can stick, you can definitely MIG. Start with clean metal.

Comment

The mug advice is spot on in my opinion. I've been welding for about 13 years and I would say the biggest problem I see is people not understanding cold lap. It's a penetration issue. Do a little research on that and you'll do just fine. Mig is super simple compared to arc.

Comment

IMO stay with stick welder and in the 175 amp range for the kinds of projects you describe. MIG is easy but you can go crazy getting things set right...too many moving parts.

Comment

You can get an old miller thunderbolt or Lincoln tombstone off Craigslist cheap. If you have to buy new the Lincoln tombstone or Hobart 225 should get you taken care of. Seems like if stick is what you know and you aren't trying to do tiny metal you will be good to go.

Comment

Double post. Sorry.
                      Last edited by clayton_10; 02-22-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I can understand the settings sometimes. But the new millers( new might not be an option) have the ability to set it to metal thickness and it sets ur wire speed and amperage for u.

Comment

Miller 250 stick welder, the miller thunderbolts tend to cut out from a lower duty cycle.

Comment

I would say stay with stick, can weld out side and dirty iron, mig in side clean iron also mig's
                            have short lead's. I say Lincoln cracker box AC or AC/DC cheap last for ever. Use some 80t
                            rods weld like a pro with AC slag comes off super easy, makes pretty clean welds.
                            Last edited by Hunter66; 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

im a wire feed guy,cant stand stick welding,dang rods always getting stuck,i have a miller 210 and it has a great duty cycle and will weld up to 1/2 inch,as long as your inside its all beans

Comment

Working...
                              X