EZ go refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EZ go refurb

Last year it was apparent me and the wife and our 3 kids had outgrown our little 250 Bayou that I had bought before we had kids. I started looking for a side by side but decided I like the stealth (and cost) of an electric golf cart.

I started with a great craigslist find, a 2000 TXT EZGO with lift, big tires, and flip back seat. The entire electrical was fried (post melted out of the batteries fried) which was okay because I wanted to convert to 48 but a bit of a gamble because I couldn't test the motor, rear end, or front end, steering box, etc.

the frame was in bad shape..

I was going to replace it but found out I would have had to pull the whole body off, so I cut some pieces off of an old bed frame and patched it instead. Not pretty but plenty sturdy.

Next was writing a couple of big checks for the batteries (6-8volt and 1- 12volt for the lights) speed controller, heavy duty solenoid, heavy duty Forward- Reverse switch / and 48volt charger. I made my own cables out of 4gauge welding lead.

All hooked up and running, and the extra torque spun a hub, the hub was almost impossible to get off and nearly ruined the axle. I was told later this is a pretty common problem, so the new hub got lots of extra grease.

After that was fixed it was time for lights and cosmetic. I found these and they had a setting for parking lights with a blue light, I bought some red tail lamps to replace them.

They aren't super bright, but just enough for a morning commute to the blind, and my boys love them too.

My 6 YO thought it needed this to raise the cool factor.

and with the red lights on:

finally I masked everything off and pulled the seat and the top and touched all the metal up with a flat black and the body up with a rattle can flat green.
    We all love it, I have definitley noticed it doesn't bother the game as much.

Bad A!

Comment

Good job, I enjoy mine. It is awesome for sneaking up on hogs.

Comment

sweet

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

I'm impressed.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Nice!

Comment

What's the pricetag on a project like that cost? (If you don't mind me asking)

Comment

If I remember right it's something like this:

1250 speed controler, 48v charger, HD F&R, digital battery meter, lights, paint, etc
                      750 6-8v trojan 105's, 1-12v deep cycle, and 50' of welding cable
                      50 New hub
                      700 Craigslist golf cart with lift, bigger tires, back seat, and good charger
                      -150 Sold the 36 volt charger

All in all about $2600. that doesn't include my time or beverages consumed which was considerable since I had no idea what I was doing! Probably no more than 20 hours or so though. I involved the kids and it was kind of fun.

Comment

Cool project! Turned out gerat too!

Comment

Working...
                        X