Custom cooler for my new kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom cooler for my new kayak

Now that the kayak is almost finished I decided to go ahead and start on my cooler that will sit behind the cockpit. I'm needing more epoxy to finish up the boat so may as well order enough to justify the shipping costs. This will be my first try at a cooler build, as was with the kayak, but if it turns out as nice as the boat did I'll be pleased. Started out with sheets of 3/4" foam insulation and am gluing two layers together with foam adhesive to give it 1 1/2" thick sides, bottom and top.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349329219.624396.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	24926913Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349329237.244454.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24926914

Gave it a few nights for the glue to cure and then sanded all of the corners to a radius so that they will not interfere with the corners of my cedar panels coming together. Next was to spray adhesive a layer of radiant barrier to the outside of the box.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349329467.070482.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24926915

Picked up the cedar today that will be cut into pieces and glued together laid flat on a table. Once the whole thing is built it will get glass and epoxy just like the kayak. Got about 3 hrs and 10 bucks in it as of now. All of the foam and radiant barrier were scrap saved from work. More to come…

HG

Kayeti!

Comment

this is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
        Kayeti!

Ha! I wanted to but was apprehensive. Those Yeti guys are kinda sensitive!

HG

Comment

I think I have a spare Yeti sticker you can have if you need one.

That is an awesome cooler! Some may even think it's allsome!

Comment

YetYak!

Comment

Pretty sick man,

Comment

Did I miss the kayak build?

Comment

What do you have planned for the lid and gasket? I like what you have done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                    Did I miss the kayak build?
                    Yea guess I could have given a little more info there! Search the DIY for "My new ride" and it should come up. Sorry I'm in the truck on the highway and can't figure out how to give u a link to it.

HG

Comment

I've got a couple different ideas for the lid but don't have anything nailed down yet. It's gonna be the same 1 1/2" thick at least and will be built the same as the box; foam, radiant barrier, cedar panel, glass and epoxy. Still unsure as to whether it will hinge or just come off completely. The plan for now is to get the box built and then I can mock up some different lid configurations and see which one I like best. The inside of the box I'm hoping to just coat with white epoxy. Still playing with that detail. Just a thought but may use some stainless boat cleats for the handles on the sides??? Prob won't have a chance to get back on it until next week but ill shoot up some pics of the cedar I'm gonna use for the panels tonight.

HG

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349392431.145977.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	24124571
                        The cooler should look like the back deck… hopefully!

HG

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
                          [ATTACH]400446[/ATTACH]
                          The cooler should look like the back deckā€¦ hopefully!

HG
                          Slick! Wish I had the patients for something like that.

Comment

Beautiful work

Comment

Here's a mock up of the cedar in using.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349416269.543029.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	24124688

Didn't get anything done on the cooler tonight except for some head scratching. Too busy working out…16 oz curls.

HG

Comment

Working...
                              X