No announcement yet.

Help coon and squirel proofa feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have tried may ways to keep critters out of my corn. So far the pvc seems to work best. I put it on the legs before filling the feeders this year. Moved it to the height I wanted and then installed a corner brace from home depot on top side of each leg at the bottom of the pipe. I then bent the corner brace over almost till it touched the pipe. It spins free. So far no pics of critters above the pipe. Here is a picure below to help explain. LOL. I also took off my varmit guard. It gave them less to hold on to when or if they ever make it up there.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Everyone I tried tack strip they just walk right up the legs like nothing I think I am going to try pvc Again thanks for all the input

Comment

I found these framing splice plates at the local Ace Hardware. They are 6" x 4" and were $1.25 each. I took two of them and wrapped them around a piece of 4" pipe to fit the PVC we have on our feeder legs. I will drill a few holes in the plate and either screw them to the PVC or pop-rivet them on about 2/3 of the way up the pipe. If they get past these they will have to leave some hide behind. If they work investing $7.50 per feeder to save $60 of corn sounds like a good investment to me.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kmitchl; 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I was told by a guy that monkey chow/primate biscuits will kill the coons because they can't digest them. However, if anything else (cows, deer, pigs) eat them it won't harm them.Anyone try this? The coons are killing me this year.

Comment

I need to get me some "coon cuffs".

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
              [ATTACH]398749[/ATTACH]Less than $10 and it will
              Save you hundreds throughout the year.
              No coon or squirrel can mess with it and after installing them our corn usage was easily cut in half.
              Where do you buy these?

Comment

I got one from Boss Buck coon handcuffs

Comment

KAC......they are bandits and should be put out of our misery

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                    I found these framing splice plates at the local Ace Hardware. They are 6" x 4" and were $1.25 each. I took two of them and wrapped them around a piece of 4" pipe to fit the PVC we have on our feeder legs. I will drill a few holes in the plate and either screw them to the PVC or pop-rivet them on about 2/3 of the way up the pipe. If they get past these they will have to leave some hide behind. If they work investing $7.50 per feeder to save $60 of corn sounds like a good investment to me.
                    I will be looking for an update . Looks like a good idea

Comment

thanks i might have to try this

Comment

If you have steel 55gal drums with a lip around the bottom make the cage so it fits snug inside the lip around the circumference. Then get some small rod (1/16"-1/8" works good) and drill four holes so you can run two rods across. Put a bottom on the cage and it'll sling corn, make more noise and be squirrel and coon proof.

Thumper put a pic of a fancy one up. We just used hutch clips
                        Last edited by Russ81; 10-17-2012, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X