Selfbow Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selfbow Build.

Under the tutelage of master bowyer Lonnie Dye I will be building my first bow. I've chosen to build a selfbow. I expect this project to take several months and in the end produce a working piece of art. (or maybe a complete disaster, we'll see. )

Tonight I started on the bow.
    This is the Orange Osage stave that I purchased from Pine Hollow Bows in Arkansas. Inside this piece of wood is my bow. All I've got to do is go find it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343362718.690423.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	24911898

Removing the bark with a draw knife.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343362906.346060.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	24911899

All cleaned of bark.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343363096.623181.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	24911900
    Since it's still a little wet and we want it to dry slowly I sealed the area that I removed the bark from and the ends. This way the stave will dry from the rough side and be less likely to split the wood as it dries.
    Next Thursday we will check the moisture content and probably start working the rough side of the wood.

Subscribed I plan to build one soon. Great idea for a build along!

Comment

I have always thought of trying to build a selfbow and just haven't had the time. Good luck on the bow.

Comment

cant wait to see the final outcome

Comment

Why not leave the bark on until it dries to the desired moisture content? Seems like you removed the natural sealer and the resealed it. However I have never built a selbow but have done fairly extensive research on wood milling and drying.

Comment

This is going to be fun to watch. It will be awesome to see the final product.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
              Why not leave the bark on until it dries to the desired moisture content? Seems like you removed the natural sealer and the resealed it. However I have never built a selbow but have done fairly extensive research on wood milling and drying.
              The bowyer wanted to see the wood underneath to look for imperfections. Parts of it can be worked while it's drying but it would be a shame to do a bunch of work on it and then remove the bark only to discover that there may be a flaw that can't be worked around.

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
                The bowyer wanted to see the wood underneath to look for imperfections. Parts of it can be worked while it's drying but it would be a shame to do a bunch of work on it and then remove the bark only to discover that there may be a flaw that can't be worked around.
                Congrats on the build......Tuned in here also!

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
                    Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                      Plus, the worms seem to like the bark and will burrow into the stave if you leave the bark while drying. Usually they aren't as bad on the heartwood if you remove most it, in my experience.

Comment

looking forward to the progress

Comment

Ill be waiting for the results. Take ur time

Comment

real nice. I will be following this one. Best of luck.

Comment

That will be a good one. Mike Yancey sells a good stave and builds a better bow. First class guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X