Wrap Around Ladder Stand Idea ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrap Around Ladder Stand Idea ???

While setting in a 2 seater ladder stand with my son this weekend and constantly turning to see deer movement behind the tree, it got me to thinking. Would it be possible to build a ladder stand with a seat (and platform) that wraps around a tree. Maybe not all the way around but maybe 1/2 or 2/3's of the tree. Just enough to allow you a shot in all directions of the tree. If anyone has any ideas, or has seen something like this, or just thinks that I've lost it - Please chime in.

Originally posted by GRIZZ64 View Post
    While setting in a 2 seater ladder stand with my son this weekend and constantly turning to see deer movement behind the tree, it got me to thinking. Would it be possible to build a ladder stand with a seat (and platform) that wraps around a tree. Maybe not all the way around but maybe 1/2 or 2/3's of the tree. Just enough to allow you a shot in all directions of the tree. If anyone has any ideas, or has seen something like this, or just thinks that I've lost it - Please chime in.
    Seen one in Texas Trophy hunter add.

Comment

Someone makes a tree stand with a swivel seat mounted to center of the platform on pedestal, like what you see on a bass boat. That way you could do a full 360 if you wanted. Cabela's had one called the Outfitter Series.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletpusher View Post
        Someone makes a tree stand with a swivel seat mounted to center of the platform on pedestal, like what you see on a bass boat. That way you could do a full 360 if you wanted. Cabela's had one called the Outfitter Series.
        Is it the Gametaker you are speaking of? They are really nice stands and are quite adaptable.

Greg

Comment

I bolted a boat seat to a regular ladder stand and it's great. You just have to make sure you can swivel without hitting the tree. I moved the seat as close to the front as I could , I will not hunt a ladder stand without a swivel seat ever again.

Comment

I used rear view mirrors at the corners....

Comment

I actually saw a website recently with a ladder stand that had a platform that completely encircled the tree, just as you mention...seem to recall it was built by two brothers, but I don't recall where I saw it. Sorry.

Comment

A buddy and I are about start work on this exact idea. We already have plans and schematics. First time I've ever used the word schematics

We are essentially building a half moon for the foot platform with a ladder attached. Will incorporate boat type swivel seat in the middle of the platform.

We'll see what happens.

Comment

check out this one http://www.ardisam.com/re.aspx might give you some ideas

Comment

Thanks for all of the thoughts and idea's.

Ouch - Tell me more about your plan. The half moon platform sounds exactly like what I want to do. Only the stationary swivel seat seems to me like it defeats the purpose since the seat wont move, but only swivel. If you swivel 180 degrees you will be looking right at the tree. Not knocking your plan, just my thought.

Again, THANKS !!!!

Comment

While you at it why don't you put the swivel seat on a track type system that can be rolled/slides in the track all the way around the half moon.

Comment

Just put the seat on the end of a swing arm that mounts against the trunk, like some of these hospital TV mounts, with a swivel seat on top of that.

Comment

Big Dog treestands makes one like you are talking about, it comes in two person or one and the platform goes half way around the tree.

Comment

Thanks hrchdog, that is exactly what I am looking for.

Comment

The idea is to be able to swivel in either directionf for ease of "locating" those gamey noises. I hunt in the E TX woods, so there's alwyas noise. The seat would actually be set far enough away from the trunk that you can "walk" between the trunk and the seat, allowing you to get around to each side of the tree.

I have one particular area that I want to build this stand for. On one side is an oak flat. On the other is a corridor running from the flat to a bedding area. The other two sides are cane thickets that the deer slip around in. Cover on my tree would allow me to move around the trunk to get a good shot in any direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X