Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harrow

Anyone ever build a harrow/drag?

I'm invisioning 6' wide pipe with rebar spikes and a chain to drag it...

I built this one to pull behind our tractor.Have it setup to hook to 3 point so I can lift and carry across a small river and not drag it everywhere I dont need to. The 3 point is hinged so that the drag will follow contour of land and drag across dead fall pretty easily.Can pull pins and hook up chains to drag if wanted also. I have modified since the pics here. I raised where the chain hooks to the 3 point, center upright to 3' tall and used 1/4" galvanized cable and turnbuckles to go to the back corners of drag, set the tension on cable with turnbuckles so it picks up even for transport. Only metal I bought was the 3/4" round stock, rest was leftovers from other projects.Spikes or on 6" centers, offset each row. Its 8' wide by 4' or 5' long(cant remember)
    Attached Files

Comment

Rebar will bend very easy. made one years ago and spent more time fixing than working. used .75 round stock worked great.

Comment

Yep

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=159977
        Last edited by CletusBodeen; 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking about building another one now to use at the new lease

Comment

railroad spikes work pretty good as well.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas.
              My current plan, based purely off of what scraps I had around, is to do a 3-pipe setup with 1"x6" rebar spikes and use chain connections between the pipes/tractor. I'm going to start tonight so I'll post some pics manana.

My obvoius week point is the rebar spikes...but 1" should hold up a few seasons at least.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBrokenTine View Post
                railroad spikes work pretty good as well.
                Mines RR spikes as well. Works good.

Comment

Made one out of old rail (i beam) and railspikes. Dang thing is heavy, but does the job.

Comment

Haven't welded the spikes onto it yet but its coming along.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Whats going to keep the spikes from rolling the pipe to where just the pipe is dragging on the ground? I maybe wrong but thats what I see it doing.
                      We had a drag that used flat bar to connect between like where your pipe is.The flat bar was connected to each row(pipe) with a hinge that allowed movement but also had a "stop" that did not allow the pipe with spikes to rotate completely and kept the spikes in the ground.
                      Hope that makes sense
                      Would like to see the results and how it works out, as I would like to build another thats wider than the 8'er I have, that I can leave in one pastureall the time

Comment

Originally posted by jmangrem View Post
                        Haven't welded the spikes onto it yet but its coming along.
                        Your going to need to replace the chain between the pipes with pipe or something stiff. Like it is the spikes will roll the pipe over and it may not work the way you want it to. JMO

Comment

Dang. Well, I'm hoping that the forward pull of the chains will keep the spikes in the ground. I positioned the chains 180degrees apart and 90 deg from the spikes so "theoretically" the forces will offset and keep the spikes pointed down...but y'all may be right, in which case its back to the drawing boards...next year.

Comment

Working...
                          X