No announcement yet.

Food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from doing some of the final prep work to plant the last section of my foodplot. When I headed the tractor back to the barn on the way I noticed an area that didnt have any soybeans. So I went ahead and stopped, and walked out there and checked it out. The deer are already nipping the tops of the soybeans off and they are only about 1.5" to 2" tall. When they do this it will kill the plant. So looks like Im already about to start having to play the scarecrow game, and I havent even got the whole thing planted yet. Oh well at least it close to home, but having to move scarecrows constantly for a month and a half will get old real fast.

Comment

My plot germinated in some spots but not in others...very spotty. Its been very dry up until yesterday. Soybean, I/C peas, Milo, sunflower mix. This rain should germinate the rest and get it all going good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1336506305277.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	24072042

The plot screen is starting to get with it. Switchgrass and Sudan Sorghum mix (SS is supposed to grow 12 feet tall).

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1336506338802.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	24072043

Tapachat
      Last edited by unclefish; 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I figure Id post up a few pics before the deer kill all mine. It was only planted a week and a half or two ago.

Pic 1 is rows of soybeans, looks like a drunk planted them.
        Pic 2 what a normal row looks like.
        Pic 3 damage from deer already nipping the tops off. Some should survive because the cotyledons werent eaten.
        Pic 4 soybeans that will die because the whole plant was nipped off.
        Pic 5 to the left of my makeshift scarecrow you can see the dark spot in the soil, this was almost solid green two days ago, now no plants at all in that area. The pic is hard to see because it was kind of cloudy but the whole field is turning green from the young plants.
        Pic 6 Rows of LabLab.
        Pic 7 Standing at the edge of the LabLab looking back towards the scarecrows (soybeans).
        Pic 8 More Lab Lab, burgundy beans towards the scarecrow.
        Pic 9 Disked, dragged and waiting for rain to plant.

For now I just need to keep the deer out of it as much as I can get some of the wet stuff to give the plants a boost, and so I can finishg planting. Ill post some more pics later whe or if the deer will let it grow a little. This plot hasnt seen rain since it has been planted.
        Attached Files

Comment

The deer just arent giving me much respect right now either. I was out dragging the part I havent planted yet and 5 of them came out and started eating my soybeans, so I throttled the tractor on up and chased them out of there.

Comment

some good looking plots out there fellas. Question... Do any of you use that Delta Seed Coat? I used it the last 2 years and my plots came up stronger than the others on my lease that didn't use it plus mine was much more drought resistant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
              The deer just arent giving me much respect right now either. I was out dragging the part I havent planted yet and 5 of them came out and started eating my soybeans, so I throttled the tractor on up and chased them out of there.
              Looking good so far Lungbustr. How many acres did you plant.....looks like you've got enough to withstand any deer pressure.

Your deer are some brazen boogers huh?
              What kind of soybeans did you plant and what is your screening planted in?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                some good looking plots out there fellas. Question... Do any of you use that Delta Seed Coat? I used it the last 2 years and my plots came up stronger than the others on my lease that didn't use it plus mine was much more drought resistant.
                Never used it but always wanted to try it... but I always forget to buy it when I get my seed. I've heard it works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  Looking good so far Lungbustr. How many acres did you plant.....looks like you've got enough to withstand any deer pressure.

Your deer are some brazen boogers huh?
                  What kind of soybeans did you plant and what is your screening planted in?
                  The soybeans are hutcheson forage soybeans. They are just cheap $26 a 50 lb bag non roundup ready beans. I just cant justify all the cost of the high dollar stuff. The screen is forage sorghum sudangrass. I think its going to be really good and increase my daytime deer sightings even more than before, its probably the most important thing to grow during the summer. Because you can always grow a winter plot but there is no do overs come wintertime for your plot screen, just not enough time to get the height needed. I took some pictures but it was so small you couldnt really see it. But, I went out today and it has grown quite a bit in the last couple of days. Its about like yours was the last pictures you posted, it just took it a bit to get started. Probably six or seven acres already planted. A little over three acres to go. I just got 3.5 inches of rain last night and some of the lablab is under water. The whole plot is planted in the bottom end of that field and has drainage problems. I think we have more rain headed this way too. So it may drown, and have to be replanted also I may go ahead and replant some of the soybeans that got killed by deer. I have very high deer numbers, and they are very careless when its not hunting season. The young deer are the main problem they just arent smart enough to be scared. I do feel like once I get the whole thing planted it should withstand the browse pressure, Id love a gallagher style electric fence, but its just not in the budget.

Comment

Checked on the plot yesterday....most of the beans are up.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337255141132.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24073704

Some just germinated....Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337255241874.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	24073705

The sudan sorghum is doing great and will screen the plot and make the deer feel secure.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337255341841.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	24073706

Feel free to make fun of my homemade scarecrow...

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337255416999.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	24073707

So far there the deer are nipping a few plants but hopefully the plot is big enough (2 acres) to withstand the pressure.

Tapachat

Comment

Sorghum and sunflowers are taking off. The cow peas are about 8" tall. Not bad for my first time. The view from my blind is much improved.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Centex; 05-19-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Just checked in mine this weekend. They are getting about 2' tall and look great! This is first time planting so we did a very small area but next year we plan on doing the whole field.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338174853.496956.jpg
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	24076812

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338174879.051708.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	24076813

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338174903.698600.jpg