Spring Gate Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Gate Hog Trap

Any one have some pics to build a Hog Trap with a spring loaded door? Even if you have a sliding door, can you post pics. Thanks Bundy

I built several. 4x4x7 so they can fit in back of pick up truck.
    The trap door opens inward and is angled approx 45 to the inside of trap where is fits into an angle iron.
    I used a hydralic type door closing device just like the one on top of people doors. Heavy wire trip from side of cage to door. When door closes softly, not making any noise, that is the key I believe to catching more piggys in same trap. Constucted a hook latch, once a pig bangs the door the hook latches and they are in there. Side wire is 4x4" hog mesh. Bottom and top are 6x6" mesh.
    Dont have any pics since hard drive crashed earlier last year.

Comment

Here you go
      Click image for larger version

Name:	hog trap.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	23823650

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Any one hav any close up pictures of the door and the trip wire?

Comment

no1aogkilller,

Please clear this up for me. I have heard a few different opinions of the trapping, transporting and sale of feral hogs.

When I get them in my trap I have dispatched them humanly as possible, dressed the and given them to friend who want them.

Is there an easier way. Is it legal to sell them live to somebody? Do I need a permit or something.

These tasted pretty good but I can't eat them all!
          Attached Files

Comment

It does not have a trip wire, just a strong spring on the gate to hold it closed. It runs from the outside of the front panel to the outside panel of the gate to hold tension when it is closed. Put about a 6-8" stick betwen the gate and the side to hold it open a bit. When the first one goes through it it will close but other will push the door open but can not open it from the inside.

Comment

go here and it has some different typs of doors and the pros and cons of each.

Comment

Thanks, I am looking for a ideas to build some.

Comment

Brandon. That Pic delrowil post is vertually the same as I attempted to discribe. See the "u" in right corner, that might be used to run a 1/16" cable through. Some of those traps use the same 1/4" galv. wire that is curled around top Mesh and a "L" on the other end to "catch" or hold door. Run cable from "L" around mesh then crossing the width of trap about 9" high inside, maybe 6" from back of trap allowing pigs to push cable thus pulling "L" off spring loaded door. Get yourself a long screen door type of spring. Attach from frame to door. Adjust as nessessary.
                  When my trap rusted out (used plain uncoated wire mesh) Replace panels with galvl ones. Made a new shorter door to accomadate the hydralic door closer.
                  My trip wire is 1/4" galv wire curled around panel wire about 1/2 the width of door with the "L" at other end to hold door open . Door in open position is parralell with length of trap. Bait the other end of trap heavy and lightly in area behind open door. Theory is lots of small pigs fight over the end while one ventures back behind door tripping it.
                  Twice, had 8 pigs. Once had 12 little ones.

Comment

how about Pics Pics Pics

Comment

Originally posted by bundyducks View Post
                      how about Pics Pics Pics
                      Pic is worth 500 words. Will have to make new thread some other day.

Mr. Bubbas Bulletman, a buddy looked into sale of pigs, he travels the livestock auction schedule. If I remember correctly, the commercial sale of hogs is banned due to no health standards? something like that.
                      When we/ I get a hog or hogs, we have several contacts who will buy them like folks at work, gas station, auto shop and gym will buy them delivered clean and halved or quatered. A guy at work always gives me top dollar for pig ribs.
                      Hogg Sales: Like personal firearms, individual to individual.
                      MN, those are some sweet looking piggys! Crockpot size or in halves on the slow cooker. LIttle ones, very little ones easy to tame. Just add food and water.
                      Last edited by no1hogkiller; 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM.

Comment

This
                        Thread
                        Is
                        Completly
                        Useless
                        Without
                        Pics!!!!!!

Comment

This is one I made...
                          Attached Files

Comment

n1ohogkiller

Got an email from the guy who's property Brokenarrow and I were hunting on when you called this week.

I have a trap that the Tri Community wildlife coop loaned to us. It's going over there this weekend.

I've had problems with the door sticking. I'll post pictures for you input. Maybe I can convert it to a spring type.

Comment

bubba joe, looks good, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X