Cattle panel/carpet blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle panel/carpet blind

I have always liked the thought of the cattle panel and carpet blinds that have been built on here for years. Last year I made my own but took it a little further. I took 2 cattle panels, bent them into the shape I wanted then took some scrap 1" square tubing and welded them into the corners and a frame for the roof instead of the typical pvc used on most builds. I then took black carpet and wrapped the outside with the carpet facing in. This way my interior is black. I then took some ext house paint and paint the ext and added some branchs with spray cans. I cut the cattle panels where I wanted windows and cut the carpet on the bottom 3 sides leaving it attached at the top for a window flap. I then decided to buy a HD treated canvas tarp at northern to put on top and took tie wire and tied it tight so it won't flap. it is open at the bottom and could easily be put on a platform to elevate it. It's 6'x6' and about 5.5' tall. Plenty of room for two and very light weight and portable.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	24892236

looks good.

Comment

Killer. Looks Great. Like the idea. Might have to try this myself.

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

I like that alot - do you have any pictures of how you did the panels before you put on the carpet?

Comment

Very nice build Jack.

Comment

No jerp, I snapped some pics of the interior but they were too dark to see. I will try to remember to take some pics of the inside and out
              where it is brushed in.

Comment

need pics of construction stages wade

Comment

I know I'm bad about that. I don't have any build pics Alot of times I just start cutting and sticking, planning as I go.

Comment

good job I like it

Comment

Its the cattle panels with the large holes. One 16' panel made the front three sides and the second panel for the back and top. I believe the front and sides are 7 squares and the corner sections are three squares. windows are 3 squares tall and one wide. I just took a side grinder and slightly cut the back side of the panel strands top to bottom to where I could bend it easily then just took the mig welder and welded the joints back together where they bent together, just make sure you don't cut all the way thru the panel strands, just enough for it to bend easily.Then just ran 1" sq tubing from the ground to about 5' tall at each corner, this helped to strengthen the corners. Then I just ran sq tubing around the top to complete the frame which made the entire blind stiffer. I then bent another piece of panel in the same manner for the roof. After all the framing was complete I wrapped it and covered it.
                      On the window flaps I took a piece of rebar slightly longer than the window is wide and tied it to the bottom of the flap giving it some weight so it does not flap in the wind.
                      Last edited by KactusKiller; 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

how did you fix the door..

Comment

Originally posted by wade View Post
                          how did you fix the door..
                          Actually the same as the windows just bigger. Cut the panel what ever size u need to fit easily and cut the carpet on bottom three sides with something heavy attached to the bottom to keep it from blowing in the wind. One change I would have made is to cut an opening then cut an additional piece of carpet 4+" wider and longer than the opening so it over laps and won't let light in around the edges. I also put some tie wires at the bottom of the door to tie it down tight. I didn't put as much time and effort into the door as it was the last thing I did and I ran out of time but it works fine. My "Southern engineering" degree came in hand on this build.

I also built an 8'x8'x7'tall version on a 10' tower but it is metal roofed and has a carpeted floor. I will try to get pics of it and post after our next lease trip. We call it the hilton!

Comment

I like it.

Comment

Has anyone used 30 lb roofing felt paper for the covering? I was thinking of a couple of layers zip tied and then cover that in camo burlap. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X