Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: BBQ Guru's... Need Help Building Pit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome! I got your email, thanks!!! I'll be picking your brain about this as I go.
    Question: Are your plates also canted so that any grease that falls will channel to the center to then run down the angle iron?

Comment

I didnt make mine reverse flow. I didnt want to give up any rack space to put the exhaust stack inside.

But yes I would cant the plates to make it easier to clean.

Comment

Comment

My buddy is building this one. I'm in love!!! (with the pit, not him!)
          Attached Files

Comment

Now that's a hell of a cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by jmangrem View Post
              Now that's a hell of a cooker.
              Yeah, what he said! Keep the pics coming guys! I'm getting a lot of ideas!

Comment

With this casing being 1/2" thick, I would like to counterweight it. Is there any rule of thumb on the placement/angle/weight that I'll need to follow?

Comment

On your counterweight, my thought has always been to use an angle and attachment location such that the weight is in front of the hinge when the door is closed, but behind the hinge with a very slight movement of the door. Seems to me that this positioning holds the lid shut (theoretically a better seal) and as soon as you pull the lid up a tad, one the center of gravity is behind the hinge, it should help you lift the lid. If you use too much weight, it might pull the lid out of your hands even. I'm still in the trial and error phase on counterweights.

Comment

Originally posted by todd View Post
                    this is what i did

4'x12' trailer out of 3x5x1/4 angle (just because i hand it on hand no $$$)
                    tong is 3" c-channel

fish cookers r great to have but i could get by with just 1 and just 1 propane tank

good luck and have fun
                    nice rig!!!

Comment

I absolutely hate the look of counter weights. I know they are needed but they just screw up the lines of a nice pit to me.

One thought is to use a cable, pulley, and old school window weights in a pipe behind the pit.

Don't know if I ever posted the rig, when the MIL got sick things kind of went nuts. I have cooked on her a lot now. I am ready to contest with her. With the smoker trailer back from powder coat I thought I would give a little tour of the unit. Even though it still has some work to be...

Comment

OH I found the build I was looking for before. This guy does the reverse flow with canted plates into a grease rail. I also like his baffle between the pit and firebox.

Comment

Very informative! Thanks! Keep'em coming!

Comment

Working...
                          X