Shotgun Refinishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun Refinishing

I've been looking into refinishing a shotgun for a long time now. Finally mboltm was able to find me 1. I was a little intimidated when I first received it because it really was a pretty rough shotgun. It had been painted at least 3 different times. And very rusted up before that. But 870's are known for being very hard to kill.

First thing I did was disassemble shotgun to see what I was working with. Everything seemed there and in functioning order. The screws holding in the stock pad were so rusted they broke off when trying to unscrew them.

So I collected all the materials needed the next afternoon.

I needed a can of DupliColor Engine enamel paint in low gloss black. Looked for the 1400° stuff but all they had was 500° ... then I went to autozone because napa auto parts was rediculously expensive. At autozone I picked up a pack of steel wool, some sanding paper, and most importantly a gallon can of aircraft remover. No it doesn't take anywhere near a gallon, but a gallon is only twice as expensive as a quart. Plus the stuff is great to have around. And a couple rolls of shop rags. Also needed is one can of brake cleaner.

The next step was to spread the aircraft remover anywhere there was a paint to be removed. Give it a few minutes in the paint will start bubbling off. Then all you have to do is wipe it off. Or pressure wash it.

Once all the paint is off, give it a good rub down with steel wool. I spent a hour which is the steel wool all metal parts. 1 hour was probably overkill but I didn't wanna speck of rust left.

Then I sprayed degreaser over everything in the bathtub for easy clean up. My wife just found out I did that and gave me a dirty look.... what is that was done air drying I setup copper hanging racks in the oven. I heated everything to a little over 100 degrees and then gave 3 light coats of paint with 10 minutes between coats. Then I'll let the paint dry for 20 minutes. Then carefully placed everything in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for an hour and a half.

It's incredibly simple and I was really surprise that the quality of the finish.

Since the butt head screws broke out in the original stock and I don't have any of my wood finishing stuff in this little piggy duplex, I decided to go ahead and stick on the stock I just bought from another TBHer in a parts package.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks very good!!! Can u do a mosberg pump for me...

Comment

You should give duracoat a try some time. The finish is pretty impressive. Your's looks great though. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
          Looks very good!!! Can u do a mosberg pump for me...
          Maybe... if we get out of this duplex and get on some land soon...

Originally posted by TheGasMan View Post
          You should give duracoat a try some time. The finish is pretty impressive. Your's looks great though. Nice job.
          From what ive read, this stuff is better than duracoat in so many ways... Its really really hard when its baked on...

Comment

Looks like a new 870 to me. Great job!

Comment

It does look really good

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

looks nice

Comment

Looks great. I would love to do one in a OD green

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Be careful with it. It'll scratch off. I have used just about every spray on, bake on finish including high temp paint and bedliner. They will all scratch off. But they are also easy to re-do every few years if you need to.

One suggestion to make it function better would be to go ahead and hone the chamber now. The 870 Express guns have notoriously rough chambers with alot of tooling marks from when they were cut. I can't tell you how many I know of that have/had issues. Get you a three stone break cylinder hone, a drill and some oil and polish the chamber real well. You can polish on up into the forcing cone and all the way back just be careful because if you pull the hone out too far it'll break. Then get you a gun cleaning rod, just the end section. Put a 12 ga brush on it and wrap some steel wool around it. You can add some metal polish like Flitz on it if you like. Put that in your drill and polish well with that. You can get it very slick without much effort and it'll keep you from having shells hang up.

Then look at the magazine and see what kind of follower you have. If it is plastic go on and spend a few bucks on an aluminum one.

Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                          Be careful with it. It'll scratch off. I have used just about every spray on, bake on finish including high temp paint and bedliner. They will all scratch off. But they are also easy to re-do every few years if you need to.

One suggestion to make it function better would be to go ahead and hone the chamber now. The 870 Express guns have notoriously rough chambers with alot of tooling marks from when they were cut. I can't tell you how many I know of that have/had issues. Get you a three stone break cylinder hone, a drill and some oil and polish the chamber real well. You can polish on up into the forcing cone and all the way back just be careful because if you pull the hone out too far it'll break. Then get you a gun cleaning rod, just the end section. Put a 12 ga brush on it and wrap some steel wool around it. You can add some metal polish like Flitz on it if you like. Put that in your drill and polish well with that. You can get it very slick without much effort and it'll keep you from having shells hang up.

Then look at the magazine and see what kind of follower you have. If it is plastic go on and spend a few bucks on an aluminum one.

Looks good!
                          The action is pretty rough right now cause it is really really dry with some overspray inside too. But I dont have any oil, or much of anything with me for that matter... Most of my tools and refinishing things are still boxed up from the move. I did this too soon but I was going nuts from not having a project of some sort.

Comment

Looks purdy good to me

Comment

Biggs, I can't believe that is the same gun. It looks great

Comment

Working...
                              X