Feral Pig Leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feral Pig Leather

Anyone here ever turn your feral Pig hides into leather? I shot a pig yesterday and now driving back home I'm wondering if the hide would've made a good pair of boots or something.

Cool thought, can not wait to see the responses..

Comment

We had a few hides soft tanned years back. Thicker leather than I would have thought. Not sure what the practical uses would be like boots, but cool thought for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
        We had a few hides soft tanned years back. Thicker leather than I would have thought. Not sure what the practical uses would be like boots, but cool thought for sure.
        Who did you use to tan it?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post

Who did you use to tan it?
          It's been years ago. Was a man in Weimar, TX but I think he passed away a few years back. Had a leather shop and did a lot of his own tanning.... His sons may still run it, but can't remember the name.

Comment

You might check with Dan Lansford at The Professional Taxidermy Studio in Cedar Park. He has some one that he sends hides to get them tanned. Years back, when I was building long bows, he gave me a piece of tanned wild hog leather for the grips. It is very tough but stretches a lot but holds stitching very good.

Comment

I'll do some inquiries. Thanks!

Comment

You might call North Texas Tannery in Denton.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                  You might call North Texas Tannery in Denton.
                  Thats who I would call too, but after I burned/boiled the hair off.

Comment

Originally posted by chaseh View Post

Thats who I would call too, but after I burned/boiled the hair off.
                    Do they require that?

Comment

You can soak the hide in fire place ashes. That will remove the hair .Wood ashes are strong in waater,

Comment

Pig hide can be been used in leather apparel (jackets, coats) but it is very stiff, uncomfortable, and, in my opinion, doesn't drape well. One would think these qualities might make pig skin good for making boots but, if I remember correctly, someone once told me it takes and holds stains too easily and that there are much better leathers for this purpose. Don't quote me on this, though.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post

Do they require that?
                          negative. I just wouldn't want that nasty azz hair on there! Lol

Comment

Working...
                          X