Antler Crown Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Crown Mount

Decided to do something different from the skull mounts I have done the last several years, and go with the vintage/traditional crown mount.

Before proceeding with the nice buck I shot this year, I tested my skill on the antlers from my first buck. I had done the skull mount, but I done a poor job of getting it clean and white. I cut the skull cap off and attached it to a scarp cedar fence picket, which had been shaped for a backing plate.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	26729916
    Then I mixed plaster of paris and roughed out the desired shape, and let it cure. Once dry, I used a rasp and sand paper to knock down high spots and smooth it out.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	26729917
    I then wrapped it with leather and mounted to a wood disk.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	26729918

I felt confident enough to start with the buck I shot this year. Here are some pictures of that process.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	794.0 KB ID:	26729919

Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	798.2 KB ID:	26729920

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	26729921

Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	429.1 KB ID:	26729922

Wow! Nicely done. I really like the pebbled leather.

Comment

Nice! It does look good with the leather.

Comment

That's real nice!

Comment

great job, really enjoy those old school looking mounts. nice diy

Comment

Good job ! I did a similar mount many years ago only I wrapped mine with red velvet. It turned out well enough that my ex (the devil’s sister) kept it……or threw it in the trash……..

Comment

Good job.
              On the buck and the antler mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Good job ! I did a similar mount many years ago only I wrapped mine with red velvet. It turned out well enough that my ex (the devil’s sister) kept it……or threw it in the trash……..
                Are you kidding? She turned that thing into cash!

Comment

Great Work!! Really looks good.

Comment

looks very good

Comment

Nice work!!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Very nice Matt! Now if we could only get an elk for you to do that with!

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                            X