New Lease Ride Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Lease Ride Project

I have been on the hunt for a new deer lease ride. As much as I like a SxS, they have their pitfalls on our place so I was on the lookout for an old Chevy 4x4 (we have several others out there and keep a bunch of parts on hand).
    I came across a '76 K-10 about 5 minutes from the house. Although I was disappointed that it wasn't driveable when I went to look at it because the fuel lines were disconnected and tanks completely empty, it fired right up with a little gas in the carb so I decided to roll the dice. Here is to hoping the transmission isn't shot!

I'll try to post some pics and updates as I go, but the goal is to get it road-worthy before deer season. I likely won't register or insure it, but I would still like everything to work.

Details:
    1976 Chevy Scottsdale K-10 single cab long bed
    400SBC/Turbo 400/ NP203 that has been converted to part-time

the guy I bought it from got it from a wrecker co and flipped it. Apparently it was picked up off a property among 50+ other abandoned vehicles. The good news is, it has a clean title.

The good:
    Interior is super clean for its age
    Whole truck seems pretty darn original. Appears that the starter and fuel pump were replaced at some point.
    Paperwork I found in the truck says it was originally sold in 1976 in Nevada. Receipt for new tires in 2014 was also in Nevada. 3k miles since then.
    Oil, coolant, transmission fluid all look clean and no significant leaks.

The not so good:
    It hasn't been on the road since 2014(tx registration sticker)
    driver side outer rocker is rotted out
    passenger side bedside has some pretty bad rust
    unknown condition of trans, t-case, axles, brakes has me really wondering why it got parked away.

Couple of pics the day it was dropped off.
    Attached Files

Comment

Project number 1: Fuel.

The truck has a second tank added in the bed, as well as the factory tank. Since I don't need that kind of capacity, I figured I would just delete the aux tank.
      Original plan was to drop the factory tank, clean it out, and install new sending unit/pickup and re-install. Then I realized that a brand new tank could be had for under $100 so I decided to just pick one up.

Comment

Nice looking square body, if the price was right the not-so-good should be doable.

Comment

The tank project wasn’t too bad, but if anyone is doing it pick up a new filler neck hose too as the original one was totally rotted. I got to find out the hard way how overpriced the local Napa is. 2 ft of rubber hose cost more than the fuel tank.

pro tip: when you re-install the straps, measure the distance between the mounting bolt holes on the frame so you don't have to bench press it twice like I did.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bowhntrmatt; 02-15-2024, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
            Nice looking square body, if the price was right the not-so-good should be doable.
            Thanks! It was about half the price of the next cheapest 4x4 squarebody within 200 miles of me on Marketplace, so I feel like I'll come out just fine no matter what.

Comment

With the new tank in and plumbed, I was able to get it started and running on its own. I plumbed in an inline filter between the fuel pump and the carb, and also picked up a new filter for the carb but haven't gotten around to that yet. Somewhere in all this, I did change the oil and get a new air filter, too.

The best part is, with it running I was able to put it in drive and reverse and both seemed to work just fine! I only went a few feet in each direction, though, because the old girl has about 2% operation on the brakes. So now I know what the next project will be.........

Comment

That is where I'm at as of today. I am itching to dive into the brakes but it gets dark so fast once I get home from work.

I was tempted to just order all the brake components, but after adding them all to my shopping cart and seeing the total I decided to "pump the brakes" a little on that and dig in to see what is actually necessary before just buying it all.

Comment

First I would do with the brakes is try to replace the fluid, drain from the calipers keeping the reservoir full and make sure you are getting vacuum to the booster and booster not leaking. Assuming pads and shoes are still decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    First I would do with the brakes is try to replace the fluid, drain from the calipers keeping the reservoir full and make sure you are getting vacuum to the booster and booster not leaking. Assuming pads and shoes are still decent.
                    That is exactly my plan. I figure it will need new fluid anyway, so I'm going to start by doing a flush and just inspecting as I work around to each corner. I have no reason to think that the master or the booster are bad at this point. I'm an absolute novice at this, so it should be fun.

I'm hoping for new shoes/hardware/wheel cylinders in the back and new pads in the front, and lots of wire wheeling, but we shall see.

Comment

Sounds like you have it planned well, enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        Project number 1: Fuel.

The truck has a second tank added in the bed, as well as the factory tank. Since I don't need that kind of capacity,
                        You ARE new to this! That baby will DRINK fuel. Keep a mechanical fuel pump in the truck, as well as the bolt that goes into the front motor mount hole that will hold up the fuel pump push rod while you change it. If it has the factory Rochester Quadra Junk carburetor, either trash it, or find someone who really knows QJs to go through it. Trash the smog pump (if equipped), and rid yourself of as many vacuum hoses as possible.

That's a cool old truck though, my 1st ride was an '85 K20 and I should have my *** kicked every day for selling it.

Comment

Rochesters run just fine, I reworked a many, as I remember, smog pumps did appear until the 80s. That said my 76 was a Big10 that didn’t need the EPA junk, another truck I regret selling.

Comment

Come on, Dale! it's only a 6.6L! lol

My initial thought was to ditch the carb and put a Sniper 2 on it, but I decided to hold that thought because so far this thing starts and runs amazing. Literally starts with fewer turns over than my 2022, even from dead cold.

I do like the idea of eliminating as many vac hoses as possible, but not sure what is there I can give up. Luckily there is no smog junk on this one, not even the charcoal canister. There is original cruise control that I'm sure will get deleted. My main focus is finding an 8track tape or two to test out that bad boy. I've never seen one before.

Comment

Any progress today, or waiting on weekend?

Comment

Working...
                              X