How much jack hammer to move drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much jack hammer to move drain

I plumbed my slab for an end drain tub but ended up deciding on a center drain tub. So I need to bust up concrete to move the drain that difference. How much jack hammer do I need to do that efficiently in a standard slab?

I have the Bosch RH540M SDS-max® 1-9/16 In. Combination Hammer Drill and it makes pretty quick work of projects like that.

Comment

I would saw cut it with a quickie saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
        That's an option too I guess. Looks like they are cheaper than most jack hammers. Looking at renting versus buying as well.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
          I have the Bosch RH540M SDS-max® 1-9/16 In. Combination Hammer Drill and it makes pretty quick work of projects like that.
          Good to know one of that size is sufficient. Would it be an acceptable tool to break up a 10x10 patio with no beam around it? That is another project down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post

Good to know one of that size is sufficient. Would it be an acceptable tool to break up a 10x10 patio with no beam around it? That is another project down the road.
            Depending on how big of pieces you are trying to get down to, but would probably take awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
              That will make a dusty mess. I guess you could add water and tape off with plastic if there's any finishes or sheetrock up.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post

That will make a dusty mess. I guess you could add water and tape off with plastic if there's any finishes or sheetrock up.
                Interior is only framed, plumbed, and wired currently. Waiting on spray foam before I can do drywall. Trying to button up random task in the mean time.

Comment

I did the same thing on a remodel. Tented an electric 60 pounder jackhammer and had it busted in less than an hour. Make your trench at least a foot wide. Easier to fill with sac Crete than to fight a narrow opening for the drain. I also made sure there was a good access to dirt just under the drain so if there ever is a small leak the dirt will absorb it and not run out the slab.

Comment

I rented a 60lb jackhammer a few years ago, and that sob made quick work of rock and concrete! I'd sawcut the edges so you end up with a nice straight opening, then hammer that dude out. The difference in cost in the hammer rental is pretty negligible from a small one to the 60#, so always go bigger.

Comment

Working...
                    X