Electronic switch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic switch problem

I've been using an electronic gate latch on my hog trap and it has been working really well. That is .. until I tried to reset it after trapping some pigs. The whole latch is stainless steel, except for the white plastic part in the photo. I cannot get a new one and I really need this layout. The button that pushes the lever out and drops the latch is frozen in the open position.

Anyhoo, I was wondering, could I take it apart and fix this style?

Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	26686690

Looks very similar to an actuator off an electronic 12v door lock on an automobile. Don't know if you could get something exactly the same though.

Comment

have you tried to lubricate with graphite ? is it supposed to move left and right?

Comment

The metal parts move flawlessly. Its the plastic button on the electronic switch that doesn't move.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          The metal parts move flawlessly. Its the plastic button on the electronic switch that doesn't move.
          what part number is that switch? is the plastic balloon supposed to retract into the housing, it appears its too wide to do so. if the plastic box has tabs no reason why you can't open it up carefully... might have a plunger broke etc. .

Can you use this type a simple solenoid pull switch?
          Last edited by Big_gun; 01-11-2024, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I'd pull it apart, it's not working now anyway. Take plenty of pictures.

Comment

It's from China, no part numbers.

Yea, I was going to pull it apart. It is glued together pretty good so I'll have to cut it open with something. Dremel?

Comment

No Big Gun, that solenoid in the link will not work. I actually have that one sitting on my work bench.

It is the black button inside that "balloon" cover that need to recess. The balloons are to keep it water tight.

Comment

If you can pull the white plastic piece out, I would try to pull the clear rubber sleeve off to get to the plunger inside it. At that point, if you can't break into the white plastic, I would push heavily on the plunger and see if you can get it to move. Sounds like dirt or debris has gotten inside to jam it up. Maybe a few squirts with some WD-40 on the plunger might help it move some. If you can get it to move, then it will most likely work, although you'll probably have the issue pop again at some point.

Comment

Sent you a pm Dusty.

Comment

In for the outcome.

If I know Tracey, she will not let this mechanism get better of her!

Comment

Hard to tell from the pic but is there a second plunger type solenoid? I circled the one you mention is frozen/stuck in green and what might be a second one in red. In the pic it seems as if the latch is just a frog hair from latching to the gate up/open position but that one or both of the spring loaded levers is not being allowed to rotate enough by the red or green circled parts.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pedernal; 01-14-2024, 01:25 AM.

Comment

probably no help but these look similar to yours....southco

Comment

Pedernal - Yes, it pushes the one ide down, but only if the other side is kicked out by the large plunger that doesn't work.

So after extensive internet searching that did not involve Google, which only showed Amazon, I found a cabinet lock that appears to be Canadian made, has a 2 year warranty and looks like the original that the Chinese pirated. IT is from Smart Access Technologies (https://www.smartaccesstech.com/lock) and called a rotary lock. It was more expensive, and I ordered 2. One for a backup. It should arrive tomorrow.

The ones at SouthCo are Chinese made.

Comment

I'm betting these are Chinese made also. I read through everything and didn't get a warm and fuzzy that they weren't.

Comment

Working...
                              X