Euro's- how hard can they be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro's- how hard can they be

Last year, I was invited on a doe and cull buck hunt in South Texas. I killed a cull 10, and although I didn't think it really good enough for a shoulder mount (although probably as good or better as anything I have killed so far in east Texas) I thought I would have a Euro mount done. When I got home I called around and every taxidermist wanted $200 or better. So I bit the bullet and took it in to get done. Fast forward 50 weeks later and I get a call that it is ready to be picked up. Looks good but seemed like a long time to get it back. So a few weeks ago I was invited back to the same ranch again and this time I killed a cull 8. Nice rack- thought it would make a nice euro but didn't want to spend another $200. So, since Youtube is your friend, I watch a lot of videos and thought I could do this myself. Since I already had a turkey fryer set up I must have bought 20 years ago and think I used once, I said to myself, "Let's give this a shot". So I watch several videos to see the steps and started this the other evening. Long story short, I did this over several days since I was doing this when I got home from work. I will go into more details when I get it completely finished. So far starting to look pretty good, and this picture is before I even did the whitening which will probably be in a couple of days. So I am now thinking that since this went so well maybe this could turn into a side gig to earn some extra cash since my plan is to retire this coming spring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	deer euro.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	26671173

What exactly was your process, as this pic looks whitened to me? It looks like a good job though.

I've done a couple on my own, probably the hard way where I didn't even boil the head, just cut off
    all the flesh I could, let the remainder dry outside and then peel the rest off. Of course, they are not in my house but in my
    shop.

I can't see anyone charging $200 though, its not that hard to do.

Comment

That’s a great start ( insert missing thumbs up emoji here)! It looks like there is still oil left in the bone but that can be remedied with a soak in 110 degree water with regular dawn soap . For myself , I’d rather have a naturally oil free euro than one that has been peroxide bleached . Another Hard part is keeping the simmering water off of the horns but can be done. $200- is absurd but if people are paying it then go for it.

i got into it a long time ago but i was getting only $100 for what I concerned was a high end job with pedestal ! I even removed the plaque from the teeth and polished them with my dremel and buffed the antlers with a die grinder but that takes too much time!

there are so many people out there doing quality Euro’s by the hundreds and getting them out in less than 3 weeks .
      Last edited by Bucknaked; 12-20-2023, 08:36 AM.

Comment

In the videos I watched, one guy boiled with borax and Dawn in the water and one guy used Oxyclean in the water. So on my first boil, I filled the pot with water almost to the top and dumped in some Borax and squeezed in some Dawn. I waited until the water was getting hot until I put the head in. I used a short piece if pipe I had across the top of the pot for the antlers to hang from while in the water- this held it up right about at the antler bur. I never could get a rolling boil- more of a simmer. Did that for two hours. By then it was 8 in the evening and didn't take time to hit it with the hose so I stuck it in a bucket of water to keep it from drying out. I did this on Sunday afternoon late and couldn't get back on it until yesterday afternoon. So yesterday I got the skull back out of the bucket of water and sprayed it with the water hose and nozzle to start removing anything loose that wasn't removed when I skinned the head. Started a new pot of water for a second boil and this time used Oxyclean. Boiled again for two hours but this time I went ahead and hit it with the water hose while it was still warm and looked to clean most everything off. I have it sitting out drying and today I will be able to check it out in the sunlight to see what else needs to be cleaned before I begin to whiten it. I will add some pictures showing all of this later once I get time to do it.

Comment

Sounds like a good system. On a good bright day they dry out beautifully .

Comment

I just have my daughter do them. Not a skull but some of her work. She did a rattlesnake for Artos a couple of years back.. Click image for larger version  Name:	Snapchat-126239913.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.4 KB ID:	26671330
            Last edited by Walker; 12-20-2023, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Check that brain cavity for the lining in it. It will smell if not removed.
              Looks good so far.
              Basic peroxide will get it a little whiter if wanted after you degrease it.

Comment

Now Go to Sally’s and get some hair bleach and activator. Mix it and apply to skull. It will whiten that thing up like a sheet of paper. Have been doing that for Euros for years and it’s great.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                  Now Go to Sally’s and get some hair bleach and activator. Mix it and apply to skull. It will whiten that thing up like a sheet of paper. Have been doing that for Euros for years and it’s great.
                  As soon as I get to that point this is what I plan to do. There happens to be a Sallys right next to where I get my hair cut. My wife even has a card that gets her a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post

As soon as I get to that point this is what I plan to do. There happens to be a Sallys right next to where I get my hair cut. My wife even has a card that gets her a discount.
                    Be sure and tell the lady at the counter what you’re doing. It always gets some interesting looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                      Last year, I was invited on a doe and cull buck hunt in South Texas. I killed a cull 10, and although I didn't think it really good enough for a shoulder mount (although probably as good or better as anything I have killed so far in east Texas) I thought I would have a Euro mount done. When I got home I called around and every taxidermist wanted $200 or better. So I bit the bullet and took it in to get done. Fast forward 50 weeks later and I get a call that it is ready to be picked up. Looks good but seemed like a long time to get it back. So a few weeks ago I was invited back to the same ranch again and this time I killed a cull 8. Nice rack- thought it would make a nice euro but didn't want to spend another $200. So, since Youtube is your friend, I watch a lot of videos and thought I could do this myself. Since I already had a turkey fryer set up I must have bought 20 years ago and think I used once, I said to myself, "Let's give this a shot". So I watch several videos to see the steps and started this the other evening. Long story short, I did this over several days since I was doing this when I got home from work. I will go into more details when I get it completely finished. So far starting to look pretty good, and this picture is before I even did the whitening which will probably be in a couple of days. So I am now thinking that since this went so well maybe this could turn into a side gig to earn some extra cash since my plan is to retire this coming spring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	deer euro.jpg Views:	149 Size:	319.9 KB ID:	26671173
                      Nice work..
                      Most taxidermist, including myself, charge $200 or more because we really don't want to mess with them. Doing one is a piece of cake but taking in 30,40,50 or more in a couple of days stretch turns into serious work and time and is a completely different beast. Full time shops are so busy with other things they just don't have the time, man power or storage space to mess with them. But if they do they make money.
                      Figure your time and money spent on panel and supplies and see what that equates to per hour labor. You will see that $200 is not that bad.

Comment

Good for you taking it on!

I do 30 - 40 each year. One of these days I'm going to detail my process start to finish. I have a total of 40 minutes hands-on time for each (including skinning). They are 100% done in 8 days.

Comment

Pool oxidizer works way better than the peroxide for whitening.

Comment

I've put a couple on big @$$ fireant mounds. First one worked out pretty good, the second not so good. First was done in a couple weeks clean as a whistle. Second one was in the colder part of the season so the FA's were not very active. Had to work on both of the antlers some as they got bleached out some too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                              Good for you taking it on!

I do 30 - 40 each year. One of these days I'm going to detail my process start to finish. I have a total of 40 minutes hands-on time for each (including skinning). They are 100% done in 8 days.
                              I would love to see this..

Comment

Working...
                              X