Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

280 Ackley Improved build

Well, today it begins.

It started in fall of 1995 when my parents got me a Remington 700 in .270 for my high school graduation present. I put a 3x9 Leupold on top with my money, and the deer have died consistently since. I reloaded alot back in the early 2000's, and even after glass bedding the stock and alot of load development, it'll only ever put 5 shots into maybe 1.5" or so.

Fast forward to last weekend, I went back to the loading bench and then the shooting bench to develop a load for a more modern polymer tipped boat tail, the 130 gr Hornady SST. I've killed deer with the Sierra 130 flat based spitzers since 2000. New bullet, fresh load development, and I found myself back at a dang 1.5" group again.

And so, now that I'm finally less broke than I was 20 years ago, I've decided to take my gun and build a custom. I've been talking with Rusty Morman, a gunsmith who's the brother of one of my knifemaking friends, Kelly Morman. They both shoot benchrest. Rusty recommended the 280 Ackley. After some research, I agreed.

Today I ordered a Bartlein stainless barrel in 2b contour, "heavy sporter." It'll weigh 3.6 lbs compared to the factory barrel at 3.1 lbs, according to the charts.

I plan to order parts etc over the next few months. Rusty will do the lathe work, and I'll do the rest.

Been shooting 280ai since Dec 1994...N165 is THE powder. Deer in my avatar was shot New Years Eve AM / Y2K / 1999 w/ 140gr ballistic tip that esploded..

I kill little deer, have a 1/9 twist & shoot 120gr barnes at varmint cal velocities...most prefer heavier pills.

Comment

Best loads from last weekend. On par with how this rifle historically shoots.

Comment

love my 280ai, you wont be disappointed.

Comment

Rusty knows his stuff!

Comment

Built mine about 7 years ago. Ive got north of 700 rounds through it and still using the original 100 Nosler brass.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
              Rusty knows his stuff!
              Seems like it. I know Kelly's a good knifemaker and I've seen his attention to detail, and he recommended Rusty. And they both shoot BR with Rusty-made rifles.

Built mine about 7 years ago. Ive got north of 700 rounds through it and still using the original 100 Nosler brass
              That's kind of what I'm hoping for. Shoot a couple boxes of factory 280 AI or 280 Rem and call it good for the next 10 years of reloading.

Comment

Barrel arrived today. Bugholes.com had one in stock.

Comment

Sounds like a fun build!

Comment

I like it, I think the 280AI is the best there is in the 06 case.

Best of luck with the build. Anything else you're going to do? New stock, trigger, scope...?

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      I like it, I think the 280AI is the best there is in the 06 case.

Best of luck with the build. Anything else you're going to do? New stock, trigger, scope...?
                      Definitely action truing and new barrel. I'd like to get a new stock and convert to BDL floor plate also. Glass, TBD. Trigger, I've tuned the factory one pretty good. Probably won't spend money on a new one.

Comment

You won’t be disappointed with the ackley. I have one in a 700 action. Love it.

Comment

You will be happy for sure. I have 1 built on a Mauser 98 action with a Hart barrel. Other is Browning x bolt max long range. Have two loads made up for them and they are killers

Comment

When you start your accuracy work up with new hand loads, my advice is to find the bullet-jump sweet spot before you start tinkering with propellant charges. If you want to see my “how to” shoot me a PM. And I learned this when I was in the accuracy workup/custom load business.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              When you start your accuracy work up with new hand loads, my advice is to find the bullet-jump sweet spot before you start tinkering with propellant charges. If you want to see my “how to” shoot me a PM. And I learned this when I was in the accuracy workup/custom load business.
                              interesting that there are so many ways to achieve the same goal. For accuracy, especially at longer ranges I play with powder and primer first to find the consistent velocity node and then play with seating to get it to group at that velocity node

Comment

Working...
                              X