Scooter boat trailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scooter boat trailer build

Picked up a little project boat for my son and I a few months back and couldn't stand the thought of pulling it around on 11" tires and a small trailer. The trailer was still in decent shape but didn't like how the hull sat on top of the tires requiring it to be backed farther in the water. Made calls to Coastline and McClane and was quoted $4k for a aluminum I-beam trailer with 15" tires. Knowing I'll be upside down on the project without adding a new trailer I figured what the heck I'd build one.

Priced aluminum square tubing and it was closer to half the cost of the quotes I was given so settled on galvanizing mild steel. A new industrial galvanizing plant has recently opened in our area which made the decision a little easier. I realize aluminum would be choice but ok if I only get 15yrs out of a galvanized trailer for the cost.

Picked up a couple of sticks of 3" structural "c" channel along with a stick of 3" tubing for the bulk of the frame. Couple short pieces of angle along with some flat material and I'm off running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1886.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	26607024

The boat hull is small so weight isn't a issue flipping trailer framing around as needed.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1887.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	570.1 KB
ID:	26607025

I needed basically everything new for the build so placed a order online with boattrailerparts.com minus tires. This included fenders, axles, loaded hubs, springs and hangers, 15" rims, jack, coupler, and small winch. Boattrailerparts offered free shipping and was pretty convenient considering it showed up at my door in 3 days.

Started out measuring for the axle spacing in comparison to the original trailer. I actually moved the axle a little farther back since this hull is modified with an additional 13" of rear sponsons that the original trailer was not designed for. Lifted hull off original trailer for a exact fit for fender spacing and bunk height. Had to trim several inches off the fenders for them to look correct in relation to the tires and trailer frame.

Custom fitted the front winch post with a cross bar unlike some of the "goal post" set ups I've seen. I'd rather have support under the bow so not to rock up and down when running down the highway. Little extra work but worth it.

Basically ready for the galvanizer at this point.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1885.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	642.6 KB
ID:	26607060 Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1884.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	26607061

Comment

Made the trip to the galvanizer and found out the frame would need to be drilled in over 20 spots in order to trap the liquid in corners or flat areas of the C channel. Learning experience but they were very helpful in letting me know what was needed. While being dipped I was able to cut the fender and bunk boards for carpet. Only took a few days and had the trailer back for wiring and final assembly.

Lifted the hull for the last time and everything fit well with new bunks, pvc guides, and lights.

First and only time it left driveway was a 220mi trip straight to fiberglass shop. Pulled great with zero issues not really knowing it was back there at 75-80mph.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1888.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	577.4 KB
ID:	26607096 Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_188d.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	26607097

Comment

Looks Great!
        Last edited by Fritz; 10-10-2023, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Serious skills!

Comment

Looks great, nice work!

Comment

I am blown away by the skills/craftsmanship of some of you guys on here. Tackling a project I wouldn't even begin to think about doing myself with ease! Great work. Looking forward to updates.

Comment

Thats pretty slick!!! I had the same experience with the boattrailer.com guys. They were out of stock on something I wanted and mailed half my order then the other part and didnt charge shipping for second item and it was a galvanized jack stand.

Those little skiffs look like lots of fun. As for your return.......Mayhem and I looked at 13 foot chiquita skiffs this weekend. Rigged with a leaning post, one cooler, 60 tohatsu, jack plate and poling platforms they were 38,999.99

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Thats pretty slick!!! I had the same experience with the boattrailer.com guys. They were out of stock on something I wanted and mailed half my order then the other part and didnt charge shipping for second item and it was a galvanized jack stand.

Those little skiffs look like lots of fun. As for your return.......Mayhem and I looked at 13 foot chiquita skiffs this weekend. Rigged with a leaning post, one cooler, 60 tohatsu, jack plate and poling platforms they were 38,999.99

A Freedom Chiquita would be my ultimage choice but as you mentioned they are bumping 40k. I've lost money on small scooters before so figure its coming. I just want to minimize of the mental pain if possible.

I felt pretty good about the final trailer cost being $2300 less than a aluminum I-beam trailer. The bulk of the expense will be the new gel coat and decking on the hull along with the new lighter weight Tohatsu 30hp that was released this year. I'll be under the cost of a new model with more horsepower along with having a custom hull with improved length but still too much.

Comment

Thats a heck of an upgrade !! Nice work man !!

Comment

Very nice, and cool setup you have there.

Comment

Awesome work!! My dad and I built an aluminum trailer for my 13’ scooter about 10 years ago. Local guy built trailers for the boats he built. He was nice enough to sell aluminum I beam and bend it to specs.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                          Awesome work!! My dad and I built an aluminum trailer for my 13’ scooter about 10 years ago. Local guy built trailers for the boats he built. He was nice enough to sell aluminum I beam and bend it to specs.
                          I wish I could have found a decent source for aluminum close to me. I built a very similar aluminum trailer 8-9yrs ago but was shocked where material cost have gone.

Appreciate all the comments from everyone. I'm looking forward to getting the scooter back soon from fiberglass guy. I received a few teaser pics today and new gelcoat looks really good.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Notaguide; 10-17-2023, 06:31 PM.

Comment

That awesome. Great job

Comment

looks like a s10 ! i have one i built out the last 3 years was rebuilt by south tx boat works -george pearland , then i had overboard customs make me a aluminum raised console and foldable sight casting tower! . i really like how they extended the back pods on yours i may eventually get that added. looks nice i really like how yours came out and nice trailer if you dont mine me asking what all $wise did the trailer run you ive contacted coastline and mcclain sadly they will not even respond to my email about getting one made

Comment

Working...
                              X