Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has build a simple smokehouse for cold smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has build a simple smokehouse for cold smoking?

I need to build something before Jan/Feb to smoke bacon/hams/etc. Does anyone have any plans/pics for their smokehouse that would work for cold smoking sausage/bacon/hams/etc. I think I will be using pellet smoke tubes for simplicity's sake. But open to ideas that don't require purchasing a cast iron stove or other expensive smoke source. Thanks for any info.

I think Smart has a big thread on a cold smoker

Comment

What Stan said.

Comment

i have nothing special it was 5x5x8 made with 2x4 and old tin on the side and roof it was the best and cheapest smoke house. after it was build i had a fire in it everyday to season it and it worked wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by HunterMatt View Post
          i have nothing special it was 5x5x8 made with 2x4 and old tin on the side and roof it was the best and cheapest smoke house. after it was build i had a fire in it everyday to season it and it worked wonderful
          Sounds good. What was your heat source?

Comment

I built one with steel tubing I bought and repurposed and put old tin on the exterior. bought this little pit at Lowes and used a section 3" duct to get smoke into the box... www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller/5013686151 I loosely used Mr. Smarts design for the layout.

Comment

I built one that is basically 2’x2’x5’ tall wood frame with supports for several levels of hanger rods. I used coroplast (the corrugated plastic used for political signs) for the outside skin since I thought I would only use it as a proof of concept. That was ten years and many pounds of smoked sausage ago. Holds around 40# of links. After trying several schemes I use a pellet smoker tray from Amazing Products. Burns for 8-12 hours without attention.

Comment

I have some pieces of the corrugated plastic left over from a greenhouse build. Let me know if your want to go that route.

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

Comment

my heat source is a metal molasse tub, i light fire in it out side and get it going and then bring it inside with welding gloves and cover it up when inside and close the door

Comment

How much are you trying to smoke at a time? Doesn't sound like a whole lot if using smoke tube only. If no more than 4-5 pork bellies or so, you could get by with my relatively cheap setup. Bought my cabinet from a TBHer for $175 and added the cold smoker for $60. Cheap, work perfectly for my intents/purposes, and tucks neatly into corner of the garage.

Masterbuilt electric smoker with cold smoke attachment. The "side car" attachment uses a smoke tube like you describe and utilizes the fan only (no heat) of the cabinet smoker. You can cold smoke in 102 degree heat if you so desire. Simply fill the smoke tube in the attachment with wood chips. Only tip is to make sure chips are well-dried or moisture will gum up the tube.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/30-inch-digital-electric-smoker-1?_gl=1*132l5rj*_up*MQ..*_ga*OTk2NTA4NjA4LjE2OTc1N TA0OTM.*_ga_BJYL434XTN*MTY5NzU1MDQ5Mi4xLjAuMTY5NzU 1MDQ5Mi4wLjAuMA..&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4bipBhCyARIsAFsieC zaRpge3AVhxeHqGr7DFurNxvUbJGmVNSc1pc50-x5C4l7e0y6qS_saAqbgEALw_wcB

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/masterbuilt-slow-smoker-1?variant=16487899955315&currency=USD&utm_medium=p roduct_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_orga nic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4bipBhC yARIsAFsieCzaRpge3AVhxeHqGr7DFurNxvUbJGmVNSc1pc50-x5C4l7e0y6qS_saAqbgEALw_wcB

Comment

I have one you can have. give me your cell number and I'll send pictures this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                          I have one you can have. give me your cell number and I'll send pictures this evening.
                          PM sent. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X