Texas Sidekick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Sidekick

I’ve been working on this for a while now. It’s my take on the companion holster made by other leather-smiths. In no way am I ‘knocking’ their design - mine is just slightly different and made purely from a handgun hunters viewpoint.

I call it the Texas Sidekick. It’s perfect for smaller frame handguns or those with shorter barrels - anything you’d consider a belt gun. It has an attachment that keeps the holster from slipping while being worn and will pivot some, to allow either strong-side or cross-draw carry. The round metal stud is screwed through the outer later of the holster with loc-tite and tightened securely. Then the inner liner is bonded and stitched to the outer later. So the holster has the stud on it. The belt slide has a hole with slits cut into it that goes over the metal stud. That system essentially keeps the holster from sliding down or even coming up/out when drawing the pistol. The combination of that and the pressure between the belt slide and your belt keeps it very secure. I also added a few bullet loops to serve as extra piece-of-mind and not needing to carry extras in your pocket or pack. Lastly, the belt-slide portion is ‘beefed’ up slightly compared to others I’ve seen. It really keeps the handgun solidly in place.

The holster itself is two pieces of veg-tan leather, bonded and stitched together (total of about 11-12 oz.) with the ‘rough side’ out. Really looks sharp in person!

I should also point out the reason for a multi piece system. The obvious is to allow you to position wherever you want on your belt without the need of multiple holsters. But to me the biggest advantage is being able to simple remove the holster when you are back at camp, yet leave the belt slide on all day. Makes for a really quick on/off system. I can't tell you how many times we'll be in camp and a hunter comes in needing help trailing an animal, or just wanting to jump in a buggy/truck to go check something on the ranch. In a literal moments notice, I can be armed and ready to walk the ranch. It rides high by design to allow riding in a vehicle without having to adjust it every time you climb in.

I’ve been carrying this design all summer and have a few out to others as well. I really like it.

Thanks for letting me share.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1453.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	26591469 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	26591466

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	26591473
    Last edited by Randy M; 09-22-2023, 04:20 AM.

Beautiful work Randy!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
      Beautiful work Randy!
      Thanks Cody!

Comment

Too pretty to carry! You have definitely been blessed with skills

Comment

Very attractive. When will it be ready for prime time?

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Good looking rig!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                Too pretty to carry! You have definitely been blessed with skills
                Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  Very attractive. When will it be ready for prime time?
                  Appreciate the compliment! It’s ready now!

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                    Looks good
                    Thanks Taz!

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                      Good looking rig!
                      Thank you!

Comment

Slick little concealed carry rig there!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post