Folding Knife DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folding Knife DIY

Shaped up some various parts and came up with a handy little gentleman's folder at 6.5" overall length. Got the bolsters engraved by a friend to touch it off a bit but the following is what I used on this build and a bit of the approaches:
    - Damascus blade and spacer back bar - hand filed a vine pattern on the back spacer bar
    - Bolsters are SS416
    - Pivot, thumbstud and liners are from 6AVL titanium and I anodized them using a DC power supply with titanium leads and solution - huge fun watching it turn color
    - Liners are engine turned just for a bit of extra detail though they will rarely be seen
    - Handles are amber sambar stag horn - wish i could say I shot it!!!
    - Went a different direction this time and counterbored to size some premium skiff bearings that are made from phosphorbronze caging and ceramic bearings....purdy smooth stuff and a touch of nano oil
    Anyhow, here's how it finished out as well as some pics of it disassembled - I think I came up with 20 or so parts: Click image for larger version

Name:	orgfldr1.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	26586238 Click image for larger version  Name:	parts3.jpg Views:	4 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	26586232 Click image for larger version  Name:	parts2.jpg Views:	4 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	26586231
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 09-16-2023, 10:58 AM.

Wow, beautiful knife! Amazing work sir.

Comment

You've got my full attention, Sir!

What a beautiful piece of art.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-16-2023, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sliced my thumb good to boot but if you play with sharp things…

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
          Thanks guys. Sliced my thumb good to boot but if you play with sharp things…
          So, you sign your art work with blood too? Just another example of it's uniqueness.

The Lord only knows how much we've spilt, fried, baked, stripped, and broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

So, you sign your art work with blood too? Just another example of it's uniqueness.

The Lord only knows how much we've spilt, fried, baked, stripped, and broken.
            Very true!! Haaa

Comment

That's gorgeous! How do you get that color on the stag horn? Really kicks it up a notch.

Comment

Your talent has no ending. Amazing work!

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  That's gorgeous! How do you get that color on the stag horn? Really kicks it up a notch.
                  Thanks much! The horn is dyed dark brown and after sanding down through it leaves a nice amber color to it.

Comment

I love those jeweled liners even thou they won't show it off much. The rest of it looks ok!

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                      I love those jeweled liners even thou they won't show it off much. The rest of it looks ok!
                      Your always liked the bling

Comment

[QUOTE=smokeless;n26587300]Your talent has no ending. Amazing work![/

hardly but I'm thankful for the encouragement! It's been a fun journey into the world of linerlock pocket knives and I've got a lot of ideas I"m looking forward to playing with over the next several months

Comment

Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            Wow
                            Thanks man! I just finished another with a couple of details left. It'll sport stainless damascus for the blade and is the smoothest I've been able to come up with so far. great fun!

Comment

Hell yeah, that's slick.

Comment

Working...
                              X