Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone built a box/container for your portable generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone built a box/container for your portable generator?

Our new house is almost finished. Just had a 50 amp generator inlet installed near the breaker box. Was thinking of permanently moving my 13K watt portable generator out there between the electric panel and propane tank ( I had an extra propane connection installed to run the generator). Was wondering if anyone has built a protective box/container to permanently store the generator. I guess it would need some type of heat protection on the inside and a screen/holes for the exhaust and hoses/plug. I've seen some on youtube but wanted to see if anyone here has built one/bought one that they like. Pics would be helpful. Thanks.

I see many of the RV guys build boxes for their units . They use the reflective heat material on the sides etc here is a link to a place that sells a box but maybe it gives your some ideas . Hope it helps you .. I put mine inside of a Handi cap porta potty , also used the same set up for my air compresssor for shop to have it out side.
    https://customtoolboxes.com/index.ph...nerator-boxes/ https://www.zombiebox.com/

Comment

Make sure it gets air if not water cooled
      ypull burn it up

Comment

I used something similar to this for my daughter’s generator. I put a vent on each end one being a power vent that runs off of the generator. The doors and roof open so there is plenty of working room. I also put a regulated solar panel on the roof to maintain the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
          I used something similar to this for my daughter’s generator. I put a vent on each end one being a power vent that runs off of the generator. The doors and roof open so there is plenty of working room. I also put a regulated solar panel on the roof to maintain the battery.
          Thanks. That's more my budget/style. Did you put any kind of heat shield material inside?

Comment

No Sir it was large enough and with the fan I didn’t see any need for it.
            she has ran her generator several times without a problem.
            the nice thing about these is you can open the he doors or lid.
            A friend used one and he extended his exhaust pipe to get it outside the enclosure.

Comment

I built a 4x4 doghouse box for the generator at camp with a shelf for tools and supplies, works great. We run it with the door off though. I wouldn't think it would be an issue closing it up as long as it's ventilated. I like those powered fans that blow the flaps open like 14 had. I like my box completely sealed while not in use because it's on the coast and that wet air is killer on things, that and the **** black widows are everywhere.

Comment

We built a genny doghouse last weekend. It did help with the noise but not as much as we hoped. The genny choked on full throttle so my advice is do not skimp on the exhaust fan CFM.
                Also wish we went with the larger box, but it fits and it did not melt after a full weekend of running closed up.

We used Elfin Hood-Liner 55" x 32" x 3/5" Thick Fireproof Self-Adhesive Automotive Insulation Foam Sound Deadening Mat- Aluminum Foil Face as a noise barrier, seemed to help. We added more after pics were taken.

We think it might be more quiet with the box placed on the ground, we put on top of pallets due to the occasional flood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_163456 (Medium).jpg
Views:	645
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	26579305

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_172015 (Medium).jpg
Views:	652
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	26579303 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_171947 (Medium).jpg
Views:	640
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	26579304 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_171957 (Medium).jpg
Views:	640
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	26579306

Comment

Good stuff, guys. Thanks.

Comment

Man I've wondered about this for my setup, pretty cool stuff.

Comment

I have been debating this myself, I had a 50 amp plug and interlock kit installed after 2020 and have a 13kw dual fuel portable generator. I finally got to use it last month when we had a heck of a storm come through that knocked out power. Quickly discovered that the generator sitting right outside the master bedroom where the breaker box is, is rather noisy, and the wife asked if there was anything that we could do to help. I started down the youtube rabbit hole of all the builds of all the different boxes.

Comment

I ran down that rabbit hole also as I'm planning to do this next year. It appears to be pretty easy to cut the sound levels down by 10 decibels, but it gets progressively harder the quieter you try to go. My thinking is thicker insulation with the most airflow. Air intake/exhaust seems to quiet down more if you can build a couple "turns" into the pathway, but that has an effect on total airflow.

Who knew that trying to build a simple box for a generator would involve Physics and stuff?

Comment

I'm more concerned about protecting the generator from the elements. It's usually raining/sleeting/etc. when i need it. My electric panel and generator inlet are a decent distance from the. house. I may just go cheap and easy with treated wood and hinged top/sides to allow for ventilation/heat escape.

Comment

Working...
                          X