Rusty Tin Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty Tin Light

My wife came up with this idea after seeing some thing similar on Pinterest, the most evil site on the interwebs.

Our house has 24 ga. tin on it that is designed to rust, much line CorTen steel. It makes it where it is weather proof, fire proof and I will never have to replace soffits or paint it. She decided that the light over the island should be made out of the rusted tin. I think her quote was "It will go with the beam light puuurrrfectly."

I sat in a chair for hours looking at pieces of tin, trying to figure something out. It finally came to me as I was trying to fall asleep one night. I cut 2 pieces of tin 6' long that went from hump to hump leaving the top of the hump on both sides. I used a piece of metal building door trim for the top piece where the wiring and connections would be. I used thumb headed bolts and drilled a hole in them to bolt through the fixture to hook up my tubing that would go to the ceiling. The light sockets were the kind that has a threaded ring on them so I could tighten them up solid.

It came out very light weight and extremely strong and I was able to hang it by myself. It was hung on fan sockets like the beam light was.
    Attached Files

Another great light, Bob! You should come out of retirement. And go into the lighting business.

Comment

That looks fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Another great light, Bob! You should come out of retirement. And go into the lighting business.
        I probably built over a hundred lights through the years, just none like these.

Comment

Very nice Bob! I knew you'd come up with something really cool!

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Pretty slick, Bob.

Comment

Man, you are killing it on these light projects. Well done.

Comment

Working...
                X