Rainwater/Grounwater Harvesting for Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainwater/Grounwater Harvesting for Consumption

Hey TBH, my family and I have built a house remotely and we're working on getting our freshwater system up and running. As of now, we have very clean, odorless water. We've run it through various testing and it comes back incredibly clean, free of just about everything. If anything, the water does test on the higher end of "hardness". It does appear to leave watermarks easily. Anyways, while our water doesn't necessarily taste bad, it does have an odd aftertaste that I've not able to put a "taste" to. It isn't metallic or earthy, or really any other descriptor. I was hoping to see if there's any other guru's on the green screen that specifically harvest water for consumption? Really just someone to sound thoughts off of that knows their stuff would be beneficial. Right now, I'm leaning towards the idea of running a water softener to see if that eliminates the problem, but that's not a cheap addition to my setup either.

Our current setup is designed to stay full on rainwater, even in the bad years. We've got lots of roof surface area. We are catching into a 40K gallon pioneer tank. The water is filtered through various mechanical filters down to 1micron carbon, then runs through UV. We're also on a creek, so we're setup to pull from that creek and top off our tank as well, which is how it was initially filled. We chlorine shocked it once it was full months ago. It's got about 35K gallons in it today.

So, are there anymore of y'all out there consuming rainwater or ground water?

You don’t say where you are located but I recently had some water well work done and the water tested. Might check with the well drillers in your area to see who they use for water test. However, I would not think you would need a water softener for rainwater. Unless it is picking up some hardness in the collection process it should not have much in the hardness chemicals. Hardness could be coming from the creek water used for the initial fill.

Comment

I'm in the Valley Mills area. You're right, sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest and as we get rain again the hardness I picked up from my initial fill will get diluted quickly.

Comment

Working...
      X