Feeder modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder modification

Started going to the old Hunter's Extravanza's in Houston many years ago. Over the years I saw things that were being sold that I always thought "I can build that". Well, started thinking of ways to make filling feeders easier- I know there are stand and fill feeders but I am not spending thousands of dollars to replace all the feeders I already have. I know some of ya'll have probably seen those corn "blowers" that use a leaf blower to fill feeders with. So, that is a project that I am in the process of working on. But before I can get that going I will first have to get the lid off the feeder so worked on that today. First step was to run to Lowe's and get a piece of rebar and some 2-hole conduit strap. Used my torch to heat up a spot about six inches from one end and made a 90 degree bend then measured about half way across the width of the lid and made another 90 degree bend that is 90 degrees from the other bend. I attached the longer bended end to the top of the lid with two of the conduit straps (see picture):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230730_162145.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	26545164
    To stabilize that a little better I put another conduit strap across the rebar on the downward lip- I had to cut the ends of the sheet metal screws off inside the lid so they wouldn't hang up on the lip of the barrel. Next, I put the lid on top of the barrel and secured the rebar to the side of the barrel with a couple more conduit straps. I had some Rustoleum leak seal spray that I had bought for some other purpose and sprayed over all the sheet metal screws to hopefully not allow any moisture in.

Name:	20230730_163958.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	26545166
    Now, to lift the lid from the ground, just take the lower "handle" and push up until the lid clears the top of the barrel and rotate the lid off the top of the barrel.

Name:	20230730_164050.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	26545167

Name:	20230730_164059.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	26545168
    Once the barrel has been filled with corn reverse the process- rotate the lid back over the top of the barrel and lower it back down.

Name:	20230730_164106.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	26545169

Until I get my blower built and working, at least I won't have to worry about forgetting to put the lid back on after pouring bags of corn into the feeder and pulled the Ranger away to test spinner and see I forgot to put the lid back on. Had this feeder at the house to build and test on. Now I need to fab up five more rebar arms and buy a few more of the conduit straps to go install on the feeders at the leases.
    Attached Files

Still trying to figure out posting pictures on the new forum, so forgive the extra pictures.

Comment

Thats a really great idea, I wish that I would have thought of it back when I didn't have stand and fill feeders...

Comment

Cool idea on the lid opener. Looking forward to the blower filler contraption.

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Looks like a little Aggie ingenuity at work! Great job​

Comment

Working...
            X