2nd Gen Dodge Dash build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Gen Dodge Dash build

Well I ordered this truck new over 20 years ago. It's been a good truck except the dash. When my glove box fell off in my wife's lap I knew it was time to build a dash right. I have always liked the dashes from the 50s and 60s so I wanted to go for a retro look but still had to keep the lines controls and gauges fairly close to the original truck. I wanted something durable and long lasting. I have never worked sheet metal but decided to give it a go.

Grandpa had a old scout so I figured I would try to model the glove box like that. I also knew I wanted a raised flat gauge cluster kinda like this.

Comment

Since most of the dash had fallen off I did not get any before pictures. But removing it to see what I had to work with did not take long. I bought materials for brackets and a 4x10 sheet of 22ga. The 22ga is light and would be easier than 20 to bend and work. I went with steel knowing welding and painting would be easier.

Comment

First pannel

Comment

I had saved up cardboard over the last year knowing I would need lots of templates. The subframe actually was very usable once i got all the plastic off. There were pretty good lines and attachment points i could follow. I only had to trim 2 brackets. The gauge cluster also had a crazy curve and mounting for the light switch and ac controls would have to come from the back.

Comment

Ac routing could be done with some vents from vintage air and new duct work. The top of the dash had to be very close to the original to keep my defrost vents though. The top was a huge sweeping bend bow and bygod type piece. I used wood forms hammered and shrunk metal and welded to get it to shape.

Comment

Comment

I built a hammer form and beat/bent a raised pannel for my gauges. I also took the gauge cluster apart and got some plexiglass and cut a new lense. I attempted a rounded glove box but just did not like it as much as a simple scout style glove box.

Comment

Welding 22 ga is pretty much a series of tacks that will need to get smoothed over. Any serious beads result in crazy oil can warping. Liking this glove box better

Comment

Gauges with tape to keep from scratching the lense.

Comment

Mock up to make sure it's going to fit and for ac routing

Comment

Couple more.

Comment

I had to get rid of the plastic center floor console. It had given up years ago holding any drinks and not spilling them. I have 2 mag mount cup holders that should work perfect. A little trimming of the factory 4x4 shift boot and a cover to hide some electronics and I have this.
                          Last edited by jhunter77; 07-24-2023, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Final mock up with top and new side pannels

Comment

Now everything is locked down I wanted to us my existing defrost duct work. Matching the curves was tuff but with less than 1/2" foam gasket they all match up nice. I did not see exactly what I wanted any where for vents. With the vintage look I figured I would make my own. Each one a little less than 100 holes. I had some old perforated bbq grate material at the barn.
                              Last edited by jhunter77; 07-24-2023, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X