*almost* Finished 10’ Tower Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*almost* Finished 10’ Tower Blind

This weekend my brothers, dad and I got our new tower blind stood up and in place! The box dimensions are 4x8x6, framed out of 2x4 studs, 2x6 floor joists… it’s very heavy to say the least but our reasoning was to build it to last a very long time. We used exterior porch and floor paint for the exterior and interior and used Zip tape to seal all the joints/edges. Still waiting on our Deerview windows to come in so we held off on cutting the openings out but hopefully they will come in soon! I do have one question for y’all when it comes to the door. For now the door is just a framed plywood cut out door with gate hinges to attach to the blind. Do y’all have any recommendations on how to seal the edges of the door or frame to prevent pests/weather from entering? Want to keep it relatively budget friendly.

Some pictures of the progress

Comment

Nice!
      I think you could use 4" strips of plywood and then trim the outside edges of the existing plywood door.
      You could add some cheap foam strip to that joint/lip it creates.
      Are you building a landing, or just straight ladder up to the door? If no landing I'd suggest making your ladder decently wide so you can move a little side to side as you open the door.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by thaRealTexx View Post
        Nice!
        I think you could use 4" strips of plywood and then trim the outside edges of the existing plywood door.
        You could add some cheap foam strip to that joint/lip it creates.
        Are you building a landing, or just straight ladder up to the door? If no landing I'd suggest making your ladder decently wide so you can move a little side to side as you open the door.

Cheers
        Thanks! That might work perfect.
        I am planning on using the metal ladder from the older metal tower you can see behind the polaris in the picture. It's about 22" wide, I don't want to mess with building one out of wood at the moment because there is still a lot of stuff I need to do out there and not a lot of free weekends. And yes I am planning on adding a landing after this season is over and once it cools down.

Comment

Originally posted by RickyBobby#1 View Post
          Do y'all have any recommendations on how to seal the edges of the door or frame to prevent pests/weather from entering? Want to keep it relatively budget friendly.
          I've used some cheap door sweep material for the perimeter of the door on one of my blinds.

It's pretty inexpensive for each 3'-0 strip, cuts easily with a box-blade knife, and you can put screws thru the plastic strip to help it hold on better. Been bug free and weather tight in that blind since 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
            I've used some cheap door sweep material for the perimeter of the door on one of my blinds.

It's pretty inexpensive for each 3'-0 strip, cuts easily with a box-blade knife, and you can put screws thru the plastic strip to help it hold on better. Been bug free and weather tight in that blind since 2019.
            do you attach the sweep to the outside of the door?

Comment

Yes, that's where I used it. The rubber strip would cover the gap and lay flat against the wall face. I did the door sides and across the top of the door. I did not use it at the bottom of the door, but that was because of how I designed and built the door (sits in a pocket at the bottom and pushed flush against that pocket edge).

Comment

Great, thanks kmack!

Comment

Ive used the rubber shower pan liners from lowes or HD to do exactly what Kmack did. It was laying around from another project and on hand.

Comment

Might want to put some hooks on the walls outside the ladder so you can hang stuff while opening the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                      Might want to put some hooks on the walls outside the ladder so you can hang stuff while opening the door.
                      Good idea I didn't even think about that

Comment

Outstanding camo job. Do you have a closer picture? I just finished painting mine, but it's not that good.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                          Outstanding camo job. Do you have a closer picture? I just finished painting mine, but it's not that good.
                          thanks! Here’s the best close up I got. Started out with a really light grey base coat then grabbed a few mesquite branches and a can of black and olive spray paint and went to town. Turned out a lot better than I expected.

Comment

looks very nice, i bet it was bugger bear standing it up

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                              looks very nice, i bet it was bugger bear standing it up
                              sure was, busted the welds on two heavy duty tow straps. Luckily we had a tractor to help lift it up!

Comment

Working...
                              X