Reading Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Bench

Anyone who has a wife that is a teacher knows about all the little project ideas they come up with. My wife teaches middle school English and wanted a bench for her classroom.

I started kicking ideas around, then the other day we were at a restaurant that had benches made of old tailgates, so I thought that would be cool. I typed in tailgate to fb marketplace and one of the first listings I saw fit this project perfectly and I knew I had to have it.

Step one of the process was to bust out the welder and plasma cutter to fab up the bench frame. Since I don’t own any of those things, I went ahead and picked them up on eBay.
    Attached Files

Comment

Don’t worry guys, I made sure my garage was absolutely spotless for this build along so y’all wouldn’t think less of me.

Comment

The next step was to figure out how to mount the back to the leg brackets. I finally got to use the transfer punches that I found at a yard sale 2 years ago. I knew they would come in handy some day.
        Attached Files

Comment

Big oops on the very first hole. Turns out that I drilled right where the tailgate latch mechanism rides.
          Attached Files

Comment

Scooted her over a smidge and tig welded in a custom threaded insert to bolt to.
            Attached Files

Comment

While I had the tig welder out, I figured I would fix that extra hole I drilled. Nobody will ever know.
              Attached Files

Comment

The time came to finish the metal legs, which came raw steel. Since the tailgate is powder coated, I wanted the coating on the legs to be equally awesome. So I built a powder coating setup out of solid live oak.
                Attached Files

Comment

Powder coating complete
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah, skipped a step. Since this will be going in a Tx public school, you just never know what kind of curriculum will be happening. So I added some leg levelers to keep these kids straight.
                    Attached Files

Comment

She’s assembled for now. I’m having a custom cushion hand-sewn in a quaint little shop in China. It might be another week or so before it gets here.

Comment

Comment

What a great looking bench and the tailgate you found is just perfect. Enjoyed the ride-along, too.

Comment

That turned out great. Nice pictures and write up.

Comment

That's awesome. And convenient that the tailgate says "Reading" on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X