Need advice - folding doors design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice - folding doors design

I finally got around to building and assembling my sliding barn doors to cover my 5' windows. (I'll post the project later.) I'd like to build a matching door for a window that is angled and will not accept a sliding design. It will have to be hinged.

So, should I just plan a single hinge design with 2 or 3 hinges on one side or split the barn door and double hinge on both sides? If I go with the double hinge, how should I address the match up in the center? The cedar planks are 5/8" thick.

Here's a photo of where I'm at now. The window is 5' tall by 36" wide.

​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_183608.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	26516781

To keep the same look but not the same functionality, you could attach the barn door casters and bracket to the top, and use some barndoor hinges on one side so it can still open.

Comment

I saw a design on line to make a 'bi-fold' barn door. Basically, two panels with a hinge in the middle of each and keep the top/outside roller for the barn door stationary. So, open from the middle and the two sides fold out instead of sliding,.

Comment

Interesting -- but I'm struggling to "see" that 2B.

Comment

Look for Polson Bi-Fold Barn Door Hardware that will show you what he is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
            I saw a design on line to make a 'bi-fold' barn door. Basically, two panels with a hinge in the middle of each and keep the top/outside roller for the barn door stationary. So, open from the middle and the two sides fold out instead of sliding,.
            I see that but would you still be able to open them the entire way without hindrance from the casters or support bar?

Comment

Oh, now I like that! Thanks!

Could I follow the same pattern, built the exact same way and just split it down the middle?

Comment

Working...
              X