No announcement yet.

Lets Build a Fire Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one I have has holes drilled out for the cook grate so you can move the meat closer to the heat or further away for slower cooking. Solid rod into a pipe collar with holes drilled 4" apart with a pin on a chain for easy adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
      Do not use a threaded union (acme union) to mount your swinging grill. Use a pipe collar and dowel insert or something. It's no fun making 30 trips around the pit to unscrew the grill when you don't want it on there.
      Good advice, skipshots is this way and he mentioned to me this weekend that he is going to change it...

Comment

You're probly good there Jeff, but it'd be a good opportunity to dress it up some if you like. Plus if you leave it in one spot for a while and those legs settle in, they will rust out faster. BTW, I can probably get you a bunch of horseshoes if you'd like, just need to make sure they are still where they were. Also, you might look at www.kingmetals.com they're over on 30 in your neck of the woods, and they have more decortative stuff than you could weld on that bad boy. If you were to make the BBB tomorrow I'd bring you a catalog.

Comment

I used a tralier jack on mine get a jack with the straight shaft with no foot on the bottom cut a collar for it to go in weld the grate to the jack and the collar to the pit this way you can swing it around or raise it up or just lift the whole thing off works great.

Comment

Cool place Dale and on my way home from work! I won't be able to make BBB but looked through the website.

Robert, you don't have a picture of it do you? Sounds good.

Comment

Thanks for the pics...I will be making one soon for the new casa.

Comment

Looks good Jeff.. Dang Dale you had to post that link to Kings,.....lots of cool stuff there!!

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a place in Houston to purchase tank heads?

Comment

don't know but I know there is a place in Navasota that makes them... anyone ever tried to buy 2nds there?

Comment

Some my Father-n-law made...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Mossy! Does your FIL have a CNC plasma cutter?

Comment

Cotten...no, he is very old school. He does all of this cutting with Oxy/Acet torch using the 000 tip...
                          He does really good work. He used to do the metal art as a full time job, but when the plasma world came alive, it pretty much shut him out since he had to charge me due to the labor, etc...

Comment

[QUOTE=Joey~AP;Swingout coffee pot hootus QUOTE]

Yes, allthread Swingout plate for the coffe pot.

What about the grill? Wood fire, might as well grill up some backstrap.

Very nice!

Comment

Nice rig Santa got ya there Cotton. You should have a lot fo fun with it.

Great work guys.

Mossy. Your FIL dose some nice work. I remember trip 0 days on 5/32 with a multi ten-torch unit at Martin S&Gear . Used the same unit to cut 8-1/2" thick sheets too, sometimes with a 3" hole in the center of part. Now that was a real christmas tree when the high pressure, at 110psi, would blow a hole through it, a little at a time .Now the industry has developed these water jet things, that can cut almost any material on any pattern that is 2 demintional. Last year I had an operator cut a life size rose out of glass. It detailed, or ectched, the vains in the leaves too. Then went back to cut-n Aluminum and Stainless at the shop. It will cut with in .010 of and inch.

Comment

WOW, Mossy he has talent!

no1hogkiller, yep it's a work in progress. Worked on it a little before going to my nephew's game.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pit 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	23821310

Dale, I went to King Metals... you could drop some serious coin in there if you're not careful!

Comment

Working...
                                X