Work bench height????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work bench height????

Fixing to build work bench... What height & why??? Just want to know what the GS would recommend....
    Last edited by Pedernal; 12-09-2011, 01:59 PM. Reason: Word had been left out...

I'm 6' and my bench height is 38" tall. I think it depends on your height. My dad says it's the height of your hand off the floor.

Comment

belt high....good leverage and sight plane

Comment

I never worried about the bench surface as much as the vise height, when I work on guns I wanted it at elbow height to the jaws, however, I'm a rockin' 5'6"!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Standard heights are:

42" for stand up (i.e. check writing type at bank)
          36" stand up (i.e. kitchen counter)
          30" for sit down

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323461001.187996.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	24035053
            View from my desk at work. 38".
            I'm am 5'10". Perfect for me.

Comment

Thanks for the input... i have a kitchen counter at 42 and its a bit high for me to work standing and be comfortable... i am a hair under six feet and was thinking of going somewhere from 38-40 inch height which would fall at about my belt height... keep the input coming as I can use any ideas you folks are willing to share...

Comment

I think it depends on what you plan to use the bench for, like what are you working on? I've got mine set up at 42", which is also the height of my countertops. It's perfect for me to sit on a barstool, or stand up, but I'm not wrenching on anything really. I use it mainly for reloading, which is pretty light work. If I was turning wrenches on stuff that required a lot of torque, I'd probably make it lower so I could put my weight into it.

Comment

Set it up to what's comfortable for you. I'm 6'1" and I like mine taller than most. I hate breaking my back bending over a work bench for hours on end.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                    I think it depends on what you plan to use the bench for, like what are you working on? I've got mine set up at 42", which is also the height of my countertops. It's perfect for me to sit on a barstool, or stand up, but I'm not wrenching on anything really. I use it mainly for reloading, which is pretty light work. If I was turning wrenches on stuff that required a lot of torque, I'd probably make it lower so I could put my weight into it.
                    Great point. I am going to use to work on anything and everything from fletching arrows, cleaning/lubing fishing rods to woodworking projects... would like to alternate between working while sitting on a stool to standing...

Comment

Originally posted by Z7_Matt View Post
                      Set it up to what's comfortable for you. I'm 6'1" and I like mine taller than most. I hate breaking my back bending over a work bench for hours on end.
                      was just thinking of setting something up on my kitchen counter top to see what would feel the most comfortable...

Comment

belly button tall

Comment

It depends on your height. whether you will be standing, sitting in a chair or on a stool but primarily what you will be doing with it. My carving bench is lower than my shop bench, my bench with my lathe, my sander and drill press has 3 heights. I stand in front of the sander and drill press, the sander I need lower so I can see the part being sanded from the top side, and I sit on a stool in front of the lathe.

Comment

Think it depends on what you are going to be doing, My craft table is 30", and my work bench is belly b. high
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input fellers... It will be used for many different type of projects none of which I for see having to use brute force and therefore I think I will start at 42 inches high as suggested in an earlier post... I will try it out and "trim" & adjust as needed for comfort... I figure it's a lot easier to trim long legs rather then replace shorter legs...

Comment

Working...
                              X