Watering a food plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watering a food plot?

Has anyone on here successfully built something to water a food plot, where you would have to bring in the water to do it. My plot is small less than an acre and i have 55gal barrels to haul water in, just not sure how to pressureize them so i could spray to water a food plot. Woundering if anybody has done this in the past. My property is only about 5 minutes from my house so hauling water there is not a problem for me

Instead of spraying the water think about using soaker hoses attached to the barrels. Pressure won't be a problem, the water will still come out.

Comment

You would have to bring in large amount of water to make a big difference

I googled this

1/4 inch of rain over 1 acre area weights approx 28 tons

That is a lot of water

Comment

I would agree with Stan, haven't done any calculations but I think you would need a lot of 55 gallon drums to make any kind of difference. Might just need to do a lot of praying for rain.

Comment

It takes alot of water. I run a 2" trash pump from the creek to my plot. I let it run for two days. I have to fill gas tank every 3 house and move the sprinkler. It is about 3/4 acre. I used to use 2 300 gallon tanks on a trailer but is alot of work.

Comment

That would be hours. Not houses. **** iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
              You would have to bring in large amount of water to make a big difference

I googled this

1/4 inch of rain over 1 acre area weights approx 28 tons

That is a lot of water
              That equals 6,788.5 GALLONS. Thats 124, 55 gallon drums.

Comment

I find these numbers hard to believe, my house sits on an acre of land and i irrigate the lawn. I run a half inch of water per zone twice a week, and im not using the kind of water that you say is coming from just a 1/4 inch of rain. You need to be careful about where you get your info from on the internet

Comment

I would think any water is better than no water at all tho for a throw and grow plot. Wouldn't hurt to try rigging up a big water tote with some soaker hose, that's a little project I'm working on myself right now

Insert witty tapatalk quote here.

Comment

Originally posted by Centex_bowhunte View Post
                    I find these numbers hard to believe, my house sits on an acre of land and i irrigate the lawn. I run a half inch of water per zone twice a week, and im not using the kind of water that you say is coming from just a 1/4 inch of rain. You need to be careful about where you get your info from on the internet

I actually checked 3 different web sites and got the same numbers.

This is from the USGS web site.

Here is the link

here is another web site

How much water falls during a rainstorm?
                    Have you ever wondered how much water falls onto your yard during a rainstorm? Using a 1-inch rainstorm as an example, the table below gives example of how much water falls during your storm for various land areas.

Amount of water received when an inch of rain occurs Area Area
                    (square
                    miles) Area
                    (square
                    kilometers) Amount of water
                    (gallons) Amount of water
                    (liters)
                    1 acre .00156 .004 27,154 gallons 102,789 liters
                    1 square mile 1 2.6 17.38 million gallons 65.78 million liters
                    Washington, DC 61.4 159 1.07 billion gallons 4.04 billion liters
                    United States 3,537,438 9,161,922 61,474 billion gallons 232,700 billion liters

Here is another web site with the same info.

Weight of Water per Acre from One Inch of Rain

Llewellyn L. Manske PhD
                    Range Scientist

North Dakota State University
                    Dickinson Research Extension Center

Water is an integral part of living systems and is essential for plant and animal life. Water in the form of precipitation is unevenly distributed over the land. Each inch of rain is relatively heavy. One inch of rain on a square foot of land weighs 5.20 pounds. One inch of rain on one acre of land weighs 113.31 tons.

So here is the math

A gallon of water weights 8.345404 lbs
                    27,154 gallons x 8.3454404 = 226,611 lbs

226,211 pounds divided by 1 ton = 113 ton's

113 tons by 1/4 is 28.25 ton's of water.

You are correct you need to be careful where you get your information.

Thanks

Comment

thats awesome stan, would you like to do my math homework for me now!? lol
                      just kidding but once again i still think some water is better than no water and personally my little plots in the woods are only like 10ft by 10ft so im about 43,460 sq ft shy of an acre so i can get away with less

Comment

more math for what you find hard to believe

1 acre = 43560 sq ft
                        1 gallon = 0.1337 sq ft x 1ft deep
                        1 acre, 1ft deep = 325804.04 gallons of water
                        divide this by 12 to get
                        1 acre, 1in deep = 27150.33 gallons
                        divide that by 4 to get 1/4in deep
                        1 acre 1/4in deep = 6787.58 gallons

So your right I should be careful with my numbers. I was off by a gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoken0313 View Post
                          thats awesome stan, would you like to do my math homework for me now!? lol
                          just kidding but once again i still think some water is better than no water and personally my little plots in the woods are only like 10ft by 10ft so im about 43,460 sq ft shy of an acre so i can get away with less
                          I flunked match in HS...

Comment

lol that's great im in college but i am taking remedial math and im pretty sure remedial is just their nice way of saying "the same math the high school kids start out with"

Comment

The Posting gods didn't let me share a link of my DIY (says I need more postings - lol). But if you go to YouTube and search "deer food plot irrigation" you can see a 1:19 job we did. Not real efficient with wind but better than waiting on rain.

insert the www followed by .youtube.com/watch?v=nj4qrH-PieE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Comment

Working...
                              X