The best way to do a european mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best way to do a european mount?

I have heard of different ways to do european mounts and i was wondering which way yall thought was the best to come out with a white skull?

I prefer masceration.

Comment

White skull= boiling and bleach... Be prepared for the stink!

Just talked to my taxi about him european mounting a hog skull. Ive done a few but just dont have time.

He actually said the easiest way is to put it submerged in a bucket of water. Keep the water full and the meat falls right off the bone! But once again the stink is BAD!!!! Next time I want one I will be grabbing a bucket and check it out!

Comment

1. Skin head and get as much meat/tissue off as possible.
        2. Boil head until remaining meat falls off/comes off, be sure to get the brains, nasal cavity/sinuses out well. Clean remaining meat/tissue off. It is very important to get it as clean as you can, the cleaner the better it willl look in the end.
        3. Once you have the skull as clean as possible, wrap the skull(as tightly as possible) in a few layers of paper towels, tucking it into nasal cavity and brain cavity. Then soak the paper towels in Hydrogen Peroxide and let sit. Apply Hydrogen Peroxide as needed to keep the paper towels wet, do this for 1-2 days or until the skull is as white as you prefer. It's that simple, I have done countless skulls this way and they turn out very professional, it just takes a little caring work and time. Some use bleach, but it will eat the bone away if it is too strong or the skull is left in it too long. Hydrogen Peroxide is very gentle on the skull and won't eat it and it actually gets a much better looking white in my opinion. Hope this helps. -JI

Comment

Originally posted by Txdeerhunter243 View Post
          2. Boil head until remaining meat falls off/comes off, be sure to get the brains, nasal cavity/sinuses out well. Clean remaining meat/tissue off. It is very important to get it as clean as you can, the cleaner the better it willl look in the end.
          3. Once you have the skull as clean as possible, wrap the skull(as tightly as possible) in a few layers of paper towels, tucking it into nasal cavity and brain cavity. Then soak the paper towels in Hydrogen Peroxide and let sit. Apply Hydrogen Peroxide as needed to keep the paper towels wet, do this for 1-2 days or until the skull is as white as you prefer. It's that simple, I have done countless skulls this way and they turn out very professional, it just takes a little caring work and time. Some use bleach, but it will eat the bone away if it is too strong or the skull is left in it too long. Hydrogen Peroxide is very gentle on the skull and won't eat it and it actually gets a much better looking white in my opinion. Hope this helps. -JI

x2
          exactly what i do to the T

Comment

Thanks guys im gonna do this javelina head and a raccoon head and i will post pictures of how they turn out

Comment

Originally posted by Txdeerhunter243 View Post
              the only thing I will add is don't boil the head, it will make the bone brittle. Keep the water no more than a simmer. I have done hundreds of heads by using all kinds of methods. Maceration and beetle cleaning always turn out the best in the long run. Simmering does work well if done right. If you need any help PM and I will send you my number and walk you through the process. Also do a search here in the DIY section and there are tons of threads with a lot of helpful information on doing euro/skull mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                the only thing I will add is don't boil the head, it will make the bone brittle. Keep the water no more than a simmer. I have done hundreds of heads by using all kinds of methods. Maceration and beetle cleaning always turn out the best in the long run. Simmering does work well if done right. If you need any help PM and I will send you my number and walk you through the process. Also do a search here in the DIY section and there are tons of threads with a lot of helpful information on doing euro/skull mounts.
                I also simmer. It takes time, but works great. I have an electric burner that I set up outside, and use an enamel stock pot. I usually add a cup of Dawn and a couple tablespoons of salt. I simmer for about 4 hours, pull and scrape the tissue off, change water (still adding detergent and salt) and simmer for another 2 or 3 hours, do another check to remove the remaining tissue, and do a final simmer with soap to get as much fat and oil out of the bone, and finally rinse in hot water. After that, I use the hairdresser peroxide gel to bleach the bone. I just did a bobcat skull and an opossum skull and they turned out great.

cricman

Comment

Working...
                X