Cutting tin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting tin?

What is the best way to cut and drill down tin?

Tin snips, sheet metal shear, nibbler, plasma, water jet, appropriate abrasive cut off blade in a circular saw, jig saw, vertical band saw.

I've used all of these methods to cut tin.

To drill it down, swing by any ranch supply store, and pick up the rubber washered screws they use to fasten R panels to metal buildings. They drill themselves, even in metal. Pay attention to the ones you get, and they hold pretty darn good in wood too.

Comment

You can take a circular saw and turn the blade backwards. it is a little crude, and works fine in a pinch..

Comment

Do you think they have those screws at lowes?

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
          Tin snips, sheet metal shear, nibbler, plasma, water jet, appropriate abrasive cut off blade in a circular saw, jig saw, vertical band saw.

I've used all of these methods to cut tin.

To drill it down, swing by any ranch supply store, and pick up the rubber washered screws they use to fasten R panels to metal buildings. They drill themselves, even in metal. Pay attention to the ones you get, and they hold pretty darn good in wood too.
          What he said

Comment

Yes they have them at lowes

Comment

They are called something like self tapping sheet metal screws or self tapping metal screws...I have used a ton of them and it is the only way to go!

Comment

Hmm

Comment

If you use a nibbled make sure and wear eye protection. I have seen several people on the receiving end of those little guys.

Comment

The screws you want will look like this:

Good luck with your project!

Comment

For cutting, get your circular saw out, and an old wood cutting blade. Turn blade around backwards and go at it. Word of warning though....wear ear and eye protection. I'm not so worried about you damaging your hearing, but you'll want the ear pro, this method is LOUD, and the eye pro is obvious because tiny chips of tin will be flying. That said, this will give you the best edge you can imagine IMO.

Comment

If you are screwing the tin into metal make sure you get tec screws and not lap screws. Lap screws are used to screw two pieces of tin together. The tip of lap screws are a little bit smaller than the threads.

Comment

The screws are called Tek screws. You don't want them if your screwing to wood as they are just for metal. They do make a screw for screwing tin to wood though. If you are screwing tin to metal for a deer stand, you can come to my shop I will give you enough to do it. I build metal buildings and have a lot of extras.

Comment

Lowes has them back by the tin and roofing materials

Comment

For cutting I like this:
                              The Malco TSHD sheet metal cutter quickly attaches to the chuck of a corded or cordless drill. Up to 18-guage cutting capacity in mild steel.

Comment

Working...
                              X