Am I waisting my time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I waisting my time?

So I built this Sunday night thinking it would be a good idea. I wanted to be able to use the feeder, yet still be able to open the tailgate. I thought it was a good idea at first but now I am not so sure as to it sticking out so far. Before anybody mentions it, I cant mount it on the front bc of the winch. What do yall think?
    Attached Files

I did the same thing with a 100lb feeder on my ranger. Mine is low profile and wider. I made it where the tailgate when open is bout 1" away. I like mine! Yours looks good to me!
    Brice

Comment

i'd go ahead and try to brace the corners..are you worried about the weight being to much for it?

Comment

Glad you mentioned that as there are plans to put some bracings on to help with support/wieght. But right now it holds me on without any probs, I just dont want to be in the field when it decided to let go.

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jmscalf View Post
            Glad you mentioned that as there are plans to put some bracings on to help with support/wieght. But right now it holds me on without any probs, I just dont want to be in the field when it decided to let go.
            yeah i thought it looked strong enough..i just like to be safe..im the guy that if something is going to break/fail on me its only going to happen when i need it the most and farthest away from town lol

Comment

I agree with supporting the angles (corners). Ide suggest at least 3/8 plate Ide use 1/2 plate cut to angle and welded up solid. Can never have to much support on something like that. Great job, think I might build 1 for my toyota now.

Comment

How many #s does the feeder hold? Odds are its not enough to matter. If you are worried about it bouncing to heavily I wouldnt do plate across the angles.

You can just weld another piece of square tube angled from as high up on the vertical piece to as close to the hitch on the horizontal piece as you can. Cheap and strong.

Comment

Wasnt sure if that explanation made since.

Left to right wobble your only real option would be ratchet straps to the sides of the bed. Even if you braced the edges of the feeder to the down pipe you still come back to a little square where it goes into the receiver.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a winner to me.

Comment

Looks good if you renforce it a bit. The everlast road feeders don't throw the feed very far though.

Comment

Personally I'd mount it a bit lower such that the tail gate folds down over the lid. This way it will be easier to load and unload things from the bed.

Comment

I think it'll be fine.

Comment

What's wrong with it. Looks fine

Comment

Most likely it will be just fine as is.

Me, I'm liable to throw a strap over it to drag off a pig or something stupid....so I'd put a couple small gussets at the angles. 3/16" is MORE than heavy enough. Then I'd drill a hole or two in the bottom one so you coule hook a ratchet strap or bungee cord to it to keep her from rocking back and forth.

The 1st thing I'd do is cut off the piece that goes into the receiver to get it a little more snug to the tailgate.....or at least drill another hole for the pin so it'll slide in further.

I built one very similar for Smart a few years back, and to my knowledge it is still working just fine. I don't have any pics though...

Comment

Working...
                              X