Hog Trap attempt #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Trap attempt #1

I'm attempting to build my first hog trap, let me know the flaws within this process. I am willing to listen and make adjustments.
    I’m using 4" square hog wire and 1" angle iron.
    Traps measures 3' tall 4' wide and 6' deep
    the door is 24X24" with a twenty pound retention spring.
    The thought is to bait the trap and allow the hogs to push into the door and still to allow others to follow. I intentionally made the door small as to prevent calves and deer from entering the trap.
    Any ideals or draw backs to this work in progress?
    Attached Files

Looks good to me

Comment

like it .only maybe a little bigger.but looks really stout.....good job

Comment

Needs more bracing on the sides they will bust out of that trust me. Had one this weekend bend up a trap this weekend and almost got out good design. I will send pics of ours next time I get down to the lease. Hope this helps.

Comment

that will do the trick!

Comment

Looks good, I don't think wire on the floor is a good idea. We have a few hog traps at the lease and a couple had wire floors. Some reason they don't want to go in because of the floor like that. But you can cover it with dirt. That's what they did to get them to go in on one trap. The other trap they cut the wire out.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have a soft sandy area where I have put this trap. I did cover the floor wire with sand, I was unsure how they would root under is why I used a floor.

Comment

Stake it down

Comment

Looks really good. I never had much luck with the swing style door that they push open. I ended up converting mine to a drop style door. It is an easy conversion if you don't have much success with the swing door.

Comment

good job

Comment

First I wish I had your skills. I'd quit buying traps.

Good job on the floor, hogs don't care. That's all we use and we trap and sell plenty. I've even had steel door under one for years and they still fight to get in. You can see the door in the video.

3ft tall is ok but the door may be a little low.

I frequently trap hogs 32 inches tall or more at the rump. The bigger the door the bigger the hog and more of them.

I imagine them having a hard time or at least hesitant to root and crawl into a 24 inch door.

I understand your fear on the calf and deer. I've trapped both but not in years. Check your traps daily.

You can put a piece a barbwire across the entrance. Hogs will go right through that but a calf might not.

The cow just hangs around till you let the calf out.

The deer will just about kill it self and usually does. You can try diesel on the corn.

I have the type of root in door you have and I have the drop down kind.

I like the drop down kind better because the access to the bait is clear instead of rooting through a door.

Some hogs can be stupid.

They both work.

Last try to trap in the shade or put a tarp or plywood on top. The sun will kill em dead and you may want them dead anyways but it's not nice to let them suffer waiting for a bullet.

Good luck and really nice work.
                      Last edited by Mister Bubba's bulletman; 10-14-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

nice trap should work

Comment

How humane, dont waste them.

Comment

Working...
                          X