DIY water well drilling rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
    Did you use regular sch. 40 galvanized T&C pipe with couplings? What size pipe did you use to drill with? What type of bit are you using?

Yes 1-1/4" Galvanized water well pipe. 21' pieces that I cut and rethreaded to fit out rig about 10' long. I bought the heavier cast coupling.

Here is a picture of the small bit we used. We pluged it at about 150' with some heavy, sticky clay.
    Attached Files

Comment

The drill stem is probably our weakest link, next being the water pump.

At 40-50' we hit a hard sand stone line rock. Took 2 hr to drill through with the 4-1/2" bit. After we drilled down to 175' we tried to ream out the hole to 7". This is where we ran in to a little problem and twisted the stem off right about the reamer bit. I kind of think it was the design of our bigger 7" bit and reamer bit that made it twist off. I think they were trying to cut too much a one time. So now i need to see if i can fish it out or move over and try again.

Comment

It probably twisted off right at the thread. I've made thousands of joints of 1 1/4" drill pipe but we made a acme thread tool joint and welded it on to prevent that very problem. The regular pipe thread just can't take the torque.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          It probably twisted off right at the thread. I've made thousands of joints of 1 1/4" drill pipe but we made a acme thread tool joint and welded it on to prevent that very problem. The regular pipe thread just can't take the torque.
          Where can i find this acme tool joint weld on coupling??

Comment

I'll see if I can get you some info and pm you.

Comment

Was able to fish the bits our yesterday with no problem. Now i need to come up with a new rock bit design and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                I'll see if I can get you some info and pm you.
                awesome, Thanks

Comment

Cool project.

Comment

You drag bit will work fine it just needs drill stem weight on top of it. You also need to use SAPP to keep the bit from balling up with clay.

Comment

DIY Well Drilling

I have been following your project for some time and noticed the latest activity.

Do you have any specs for the hydraulic motors? Such as manufacturer and p/n?

I have a whole bunch of other questions regarding parts that might be best handled via pm or phone.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Comment

Pretty cool

Comment

Awesome rig

Comment

Comment

yanta are you still using this rig?

Comment

bump

Comment