DIY protein feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY protein feeder

My buddy owns a construction company and was cleaning out their work yard last week. He came across a sand hopper used to fill up sandbags and called me to come take a look at it to see if I could use it for something. As soon as I saw it I knew it would be a great protein feeder. We took some all thread and welded it on the spout. We then took a flange skillet and cut holes in it. After that we took some nuts and put them on before sliding the skillet, and after the skillet was on we put nuts below it. The feeder is fully adjustable for the desired flow. The feed plate sits about 4 foot off the ground. The entire build took about 30 minutes and cost me $0 dollars.
    Attached Files

yessir that will work!! nice build

Comment

unless you're feeding giraffes plate at 4 feet is way too tall ! mine is set at 3 feet and they already have to stretch ... you gonna want to lower it .!! pic included is at 3 feet and it's a good size buck!

Comment

I never actually measured it, that was just a guess really...I know its low enough for deer its lower then my current "retail" protein feeder.

Comment

Nice-I am always looking for stuff like that. My wife wants to kill me because I collect stuff that could be used for a feeder. That one looks nice-gonna need a lid.

Comment

Looks like it should work pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
              Nice-I am always looking for stuff like that. My wife wants to kill me because I collect stuff that could be used for a feeder. That one looks nice-gonna need a lid.
              I am thinking a sheet of treated ply-wood and a cinder-block.

Comment

Noooo, don't use the plywood. It will allow moisture to get through and you will have a clogged protein feeder and all of the protein will be ruined.

Comment

Looks great. I'm curious to know if there is a need for a rain-guard. Do you think a blowing rain or water running down the side will stop it up?

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                      Noooo, don't use the plywood. It will allow moisture to get through and you will have a clogged protein feeder and all of the protein will be ruined.
                      x2

Comment

I like it. Nice find. An aluminum lid would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                          True but thats the plan if I do that then it will actually rain up there! J/K great point I will have to fab up a lid for it.

Comment

get an ac company to build you a lid outta duct sheet metal with a 1 1/2 lip on the bottom, then add hinges and a lock of some kind and your set, lids not to heavy, wont let water in and cheap, nice build id love to have one like that to build out

Comment

Working...
                            X