drill bit sharpener, any advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drill bit sharpener, any advice ?

Boy , bits aint cheap. Ive looked online and seen'em priced anywhere from $50 to 100 plus. Anyone use one regularly or bought one I should stay away from ? It wouldn't be used "full time" but it sure would be nice to have one handy in a pinch. Ideally one that would cover up to 1/2 would be nice.

I have one of these , I have had it for about 10 years. At one time I owned a 6 man machine shop and we used it daily. I kept it when I sold the business and use it occasionally in the garage. I find it handy for all of the smaller size drills but anything over an 1/8 or 3/16 I sharpen by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
      I have one of these , I have had it for about 10 years. At one time I owned a 6 man machine shop and we used it daily. I kept it when I sold the business and use it occasionally in the garage. I find it handy for all of the smaller size drills but anything over an 1/8 or 3/16 I sharpen by hand.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults
      X2

Comment

Originally posted by project View Post
        X2
        x3. it works as good as advertised.

Comment

I can usually get a decent edge on mine by holding a bit up against the side of my grinding wheel, while rotating it and holding it at the right angle.

Comment

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
            I can usually get a decent edge on mine by holding a bit up against the side of my grinding wheel, while rotating it and holding it at the right angle.
            Is spot on!

Comment

X2, I got mine at Home Depot. Works like a charm with bits up to about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Comment

I'm a machinst and sharpen by hand. I've been around a few sharpeners but never really liked them much. Heard good things about the drill doctor though. I suggest buying a drill point gage and sharpening them yourself. Cheaper in the long run and you'll learn something new. Just my .02

Comment

I have an older drill doctor and it dose a good job for me.

Comment

I have a drill Dr . sometimes it is tough to get it aligned properly but once you do it works good

Comment

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
                      X2 Never had much luck with the sharpeners

Comment

Originally posted by hachiebowhunter View Post
                        I'm a machinst and sharpen by hand. I've been around a few sharpeners but never really liked them much. Heard good things about the drill doctor though. I suggest buying a drill point gage and sharpening them yourself. Cheaper in the long run and you'll learn something new. Just my .02
                        This was the very first thing we were taught in machinists chill when I was in the Navy, 59.5 degrees. I burned my fingers so many times trying to get the gauge we had to make to that angle. Easy to do, as long as you have a gauge and a bench grinder.

Comment

I got a Drill Doctor as a wedding gift, and can honestly say that it has been the most utilized gift, followed closely by a DVD player. It may not be the best or most preferred method by machinists, but for quick and effective sharpening by even a serious hobbyist, it is hard to beat.

cricman

Comment

Drill Doctor.

Comment

I too do them by hand but on a belt sander. If you use a grinder wheel or belt sander, it needs to have a fine grit wheel or belt on it. I have only tried one drill bit sharpener tool and it didn't work very well for me. I don't know what brand it was but was probably not the Drill Dr.

Comment

Working...
                              X