New Beetle Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Beetle Box

Spent a couple hours today building my new beetle box. Tomorrow I will add some flashing to the rest of the box to make sure they don't crawl out and add some case fans for ventilation. This new box will be cleaning in no time.

Nice box. make sure and seal the wood really good. I would also put a metal pan in the bottom to keep the wood from rotting out. Also put a cover on the front, the bugs work better in the dark. Would like to see better pictures of the top.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
      Nice box. make sure and seal the wood really good. I would also put a metal pan in the bottom to keep the wood from rotting out. Also put a cover on the front, the bugs work better in the dark. Would like to see better pictures of the top.
      I am going to put flashing on the bottom and around the sides up 20" so they don't try and climb out. I have a cover for the front as well.

Will get better pics of the lid tomorrow.

Comment

nice

Comment

I'll have the case fans mounted soon as well. Hopefully this will be finished up by Wed/Thurs. I've got a pig head to do for another TBH'er. Should be a good piece to break it in on.

Comment

Blue, looks good. I have a similar set up. I just got 5k beetles and they are pounding away now. Let me know if you need a place to order the beetles from. This guy is good and not too pricey.

Good luck!

Comment

Well....I have this box finished up for the most part. I covered with flashing on the bottom and up the sides 10". I drilled 3 holes for ventilation and also to add my fans. I will post links to the ones I have ordered and controller. Holes are double sided mesh and another 3-4" of aluminum tape was added to the top of the flashing. Shouldn't be any escaping this build. Total I currently have maybe $75 in materials with plenty of extra for my drying box idea!!!

Attached Files

Comment

Here are the fans attached. They push quite a bit of air around for their size. I do need to open up the holes just a bit more. Think I will use a 4" hole saw to finish up. The controller is going to be mounted with Velcro tape. With this controller I have the option to add 2 additional fans if needed!
                Attached Files

Comment

this may sound really stupid but....Why beatles?

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                    this may sound really stupid but....Why beatles?
                    Not stupid at all. IMHO I think that boiling skulls degrades the bone and it will fall apart more easily. I've had this happen to some of my personal ones and decided to start doing it myself. Some people use maceration, which is better than boiling as well. I like the beetles, kinda cool and a little bet less of a mess/smell I think as well.

Comment

nice box. i assume you keep them outside?

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderingchef View Post
                        nice box. i assume you keep them outside?
                        I have an outdoor closet that basically stays at 85 without any ac or heat. This box will hold my larger colony. I have a couple smaller 1's for doing just coyote, fox, smaller pigs and such.

Comment

where do u get the beetles? haha

Comment

Blue Tick & I bought through this guy. Ken is a good guy & will answer any questions.

bonesandbugs.com/

Ken is a game warden & does taxi work as well.

Comment

Put them in and get them something to clean. Looking forward to seeing them in action.
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X