Flattening the ends on EMT conduit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flattening the ends on EMT conduit

I used 1/2" EMT conduit for bracing on my 8' tripod project. On a couple of the ends I noticed the wall cracked open on the end where it was flattened. Today I looked at a piece and noticed what looked like a weld seem on the inside. I flatten a short piece with this weld seem in the middle of the vice jaws and it didn't spit open.

I assume if I do this everytime, it shouldn't crack open when flattening the ends . . . ?

correct. That weld is the seam of the tubing. The weld is "supposed to be" stronger than the base metal. Conduit seams aren't quality control checked.

Keep doing what you're doing and keep the seams in the "flat" portion and not on the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
      correct. That weld is the seam of the tubing. The weld is "supposed to be" stronger than the base metal. Conduit seams aren't quality control checked.

Keep doing what you're doing and keep the seams in the "flat" portion and not on the edge.
      this^^^^^^^

Comment

Tubby & bwssr are correct. I don't use a vise to flatten it, I use a 4 lb. hammer and a piece of railroad rail (quick & easy).

Comment

Make you a jig out of a 2x4 and use a hole saw to fish mouth the tubing. It will be stronger.
          Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
          l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
          ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Working...
          X