Machine shop help in San Marcos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine shop help in San Marcos

I am needing help drilling and taping four screws sized 10 24 through 1/2 inch steal pully for a Harley. With the quotes I am getting it would be better to buy a new pully. If anyone would be willing to help or even point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

What are the prices that you have been quoted? I have a machine shop and I can probably fix your project but without seeing it is hard to know what you are needing.

Comment

what i need

I need two wholes to be able to screw in the two 10 24 screws (bottom pic) to hold the lock plate in place. I have been quoted one hour minimum work for 75 dollars.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I just went to a welding shop with something like this and they took care of me for way less than that

Comment

Shults machine out 621 a couple of miles past old high school.
          ID machine shop on old Uhland road near intersection of Aquarena Sprgs dr. and I35

Comment

I am quite a ways from you ( East Texas) but I think you will find most machines shops will have a mininum charge and most of the time it is for a 1 hour mininum. I have a mininum charge at my shop of $50 and the job you need will take most of a hour. You could buy a tap and drill for about $12 and do it yourself (maybe). Probably find some mom and pop type shop and get it done cheaper.

*** BUT ***I noticed that the pulley has splines and most of the time a part that has splines is heat treated. If so that makes tapping a little dificult but not impossible unless it has been case hardend which can be next to impossible to tap. depending on the hardness. If the splines are not hardend, then they will wear our very fast. I know this doesnt help much but sometimes just drilling and tapping a hole is harder to do than you think. I agree that $75 may be a little steep but the shops in your area must charge a higher rate than the area that I live in. I have been doing machine work for 37 years and I have owned my own shop 26 years and custom peice work and repair is what I do.

Hope that helped. If you need to you can ship it to me and I will look at it.
            Last edited by Booyah; 07-22-2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X