Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any DIY ways to get your deer into truck bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any DIY ways to get your deer into truck bed?

I've seen the tower type with a winch that goes into the hitch and the Deer Kaddy from the Sportman's Guide (I'm sure it's made in china so I'm leary about the quality) -

Just wondering if someone has good inexpensive trick that doesn't require welding. Thanks.

I couldn't help myself.
    Attached Files

Comment

i went on a nilgai hunt in STX and they had a winch bolted to the front of the pickup bed, and had a couple of 2x8's they used as a ramp, it would pull them right in

Comment

I've had to do it a couple of times by myself (both of these times were bucks). One of those times, it was sleeting and cold. I was hunting alone that weekend and shot a nice buck (rifle). He ran about 50 yards and crumpled, right in the middle of a large cactus patch!! And now completely covered in cactus thorns!

I [gingerly] drug him out of the cactus and proceeded to field dress him. When I was through dressing him, I wiped my hands, got a drink of water and went to remove my tailgate feeder so I could lower the tailgate on my Ford F250 4x4. The locking receiver pin mechanism on my tailgate feeder was frozen and would not budge. I could not put the tailgate down! Hhhhmmmmm . . . had to go to plan B.

By myself, I had to lift that buck "up and over" the side of my truck bed (about shoulder high), to get him loaded into my truck. It was a difficult to say the least, was bloody mess and I was now full of thorns. I can tell you that it wasn't easy, and it wasn't pretty, and probably sounded a lot like a WWF event taking place. I was worn out and a bloody mess! Will never forget it. <grin>

Comment

Tie a rope tight or put a ratchet strap between the two front tiedowns in your bed. In the middle of that rope tie a loop. Get a pulley with an open hook. Keep a couple of 2x8's or 2x10's in the bed, along with a good length of rope that will fit through the pulley. Pull the deer or pig over to a tree or solid fencepost. Set the boards up as a ramp with the critter going head first up them. Tie the rope to the horns or around the upper jaw on a pig. Run the rope up and through the pulley then back to the tree trunk. Slowly pull away in the truck. Animal should slide right up and in!

Comment

Here's an easy way using half of an old extension ladder. I discovered it years ago when I killed a big hog and was by myself. Lay the ladder on the ground behind the truck and roll the animal onto it. Pick up one end of the ladder and rest in on the tailgate. You then just pick up the other end and slide it into the bed. Pretty easy to handle even bigger animals this way.
            Last edited by jerp; 07-17-2011, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Why not just back your truck under the tree the deer is hanging in from field dressing and let the rope down...? I drag them to a tree for dressing doing that on the ground is a real pain.

-Matt

Comment

here go

Comment

CORN!!!

sorry its the best i got.

Comment

A frame and cherry picker works lol

Comment

Originally posted by mnsherick View Post
                      Why not just back your truck under the tree the deer is hanging in from field dressing and let the rope down...? I drag them to a tree for dressing doing that on the ground is a real pain.

-Matt
                      I dress my deer on the ground, dragging them over to a tree seems like too much work to me. I bought a jet sled to keep in my truck with all of my junk so maybe I'll make a frame out of 2x4's and use it similar to the ladder idea. Then again maybe I'll get get one of those portable winches and hook it inside of the truck bed - I've always wanted an excuse to buy one of those.
                      Thanks.

Comment

mount few of these on a board and slide it in.

Comment

Supplies:

6-pack
                          Cell Phone
                          1-2 friends

Step 1. Call friends, offer beer

Step 2. "hey while your here, help me load this"

If no friends are available, you can often offer perfect strangers beer to help load deer.

Comment

Lots off Beer!

Comment

Originally posted by jesus ochoa View Post
                              Lots of Beer!
                              FIFY

And this only works if someone else is around.

Comment

Working...
                              X