A Karmann Ghia named Sue - 31May11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
    Im just gonna leave this right here for a minute.

[ATTACH]242121[/ATTACH]
    Oh no you didn't!

Comment

Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
      l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
      ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Kevin, if you search my FB friends look for Ronald Hoyt. He's a K9 Deputy here at work. He used to have a real nice Ghia and might know some good stuff to help you out.

Comment

that thing is cool, how is mason going to fit in the back seat?

Comment

that thing is sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Kevin, if you search my FB friends look for Ronald Hoyt. He's a K9 Deputy here at work. He used to have a real nice Ghia and might know some good stuff to help you out.
              Awesome. Thank you sir.

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
              that thing is cool, how is mason going to fit in the back seat?
              Uhhh...he ain't!

Comment

I haven't seen a KG in a long time, should be a fun ride when you finish with it.

Comment

It was a productive two (2) hours this evening. I am somewhat impressed at what Shannon and I accomplished for only having Sue home for a day. Top off, carpet out, dash off, seats somewhat out - previous owner fiberglassed the pans and it appears he glassed in the seat frames - and most importantly, all the debris has been shop-vac'ed out. I may tackle the instruments and some wiring over the remainder of the week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3472.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	23994515

Name:	IMG_3473.JPG
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	23994516

Name:	IMG_3474.JPG
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	23994517

Comment

2 words....

POR15
                    Ultramatic Feeders

/l _ ,[____],
                    l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                    ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

2 words....

POR15
                      You lost me there ...do tell of this which you speak.

Comment

POR15 is paint over rust primer.Sposed to be good stuff!!!

Outta be the ticket for your floor boards.
                        Ultramatic Feeders

/l _ ,[____],
                        l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                        ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

POR15 is paint over rust primer.Sposed to be good stuff!!!

Outta be the ticket for your floor boards.
                          Ah ha...I assumed that is where you were headed. Thanks for the advice...will look into that fo sho.

Comment

those are some cool little cars

Comment

I sometimes miss my bugs My first was a 73 Super Beetle with a 1740cc Porsche(sp) motor, duel carbs and stinger type exhaust. The timing was off just a hair and that thing would "load" up and backfire shooting flames out the back It was baby blue and nipple pink. My second was a 69 standard beetle that I planned to restore but never did and sold it. That's the one I really wish I still had. I was the second owner and it only had 36,000 original miles on the clock.

Looks like a fun project. I will follow along.

Comment

This is the post back from 04 June 11...gonna keep 'em all in the same place.

Saturday morning found Shannon and me in the garage working away on Sue. We have had her less than a week and after ~8 hours of demo in the evenings and today this is where we stand...

The front bumper is off – it was a bear and I actually sheared one bolt off…we will tackle that swap out later. Front lights, turn signals and additional chrome have been removed.

Name:	IMG_3484.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	23997779

Gas tank was removed and it contained ~2 gallons of what appeared to be whiskey (i.e. gasoline that has sat too long and probably varnished the tank). Discovered the master cylinder under here and have taken out various electrical pieces behind the dash and under the hood.

Name:	IMG_3486.JPG
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	23997780

Finally was able to knock out the bottom seat halves. This was a welcome removal as I have been crawling over the bottoms while attempting to work on the dash – not fun. The previous owner fiber glassed over the original pans…still deciding what we are going to do here as far as pan replacement or revamp…

Name:	IMG_3487.JPG
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	23997781

Dash pad, knee pad and the ever-so-hard-to-find gauges have been removed. Still need to take some final portions of the wooden “stuff” off and then begin to weld the un-needed dash holes. We are going with a painted dash less padding hence filling in the holes. I will ultimately need to send the gauges out to California for refurbishment.

Name:	IMG_3488.JPG
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	23997782

Similar to the front, rear bumper was removed along with tail lights and various pieces of chrome. Discovered some body damage that will need to be addressed as well…

Name:	IMG_3489.JPG
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	23997783

Before too long, we will be dropping the engine which appears to be in remarkable shape. We will rebuild – potentially increase jug size – and work on it while the body is at the paint and body shop. Other than larger jugs and electronic ignition, the engine will remain pretty much stock…

Name:	IMG_3490.JPG
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	23997784

And here Sue sits…awaiting the next round of demolition. We will take Sunday off but will tackle one thing or another come next week. Stay tuned…

Name:	IMG_3491.JPG
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	23997785

Comment

Working...
                                X