Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pens, NEED HELP!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I am trying to build feeder pens at my hill country ranch (North of Del Rio, Texas) so that sheep cannot get to my feeders. Apparently sheep have been hitting my feeders up big time and are not leaving anything for the deer. I have already purchased t-posts, hog panels, etc... to make the pens. BUT since I am located in the hill country I am sure I will have a hard time getting the t-post in with just a hand held t-post pounder. I am looking for suggestions on how to hammer them t-post in. I once saw a Hydraulic style hand held pounder w/ hydraulic system trailer used to hammer in the t-posts but I cant find them???? Please let me know how you guys got it done......
    Thanks a bunch!!!!!!
    Last edited by Signcutter336; 03-06-2011, 10:31 PM.

They make an air powered post driver that works pretty good. They sell them at most tractor supply stores.

Comment

If you have a lot of rocks like I have in Harper you can use a concrete hammer drill and a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by DRSHUNTER View Post
        They make an air powered post driver that works pretty good. They sell them at most tractor supply stores.
        this^

Comment

I also use a bench grinder to make a sharp point on the ground end of my T-post.

Comment

I am just outside of Mountain Home, lots of rock, if not all rock.. I had good luck with a commercial air compressor, air drill and air hammer... rented the whole deal for the weekend for less than $100....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0677.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	23979165

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0676.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	23979164

Comment

Where did you rent from...my place is by Rocksprings and as the name implies ROCKS!!!

Originally posted by TexaswBOWhunter View Post
              I am just outside of Mountain Home, lots of rock, if not all rock.. I had good luck with a commercial air compressor, air drill and air hammer... rented the whole deal for the weekend for less than $100....

[ATTACH]224564[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]224563[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]224564[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]224563[/ATTACH]
                Could you post pics of you building the feeder pens and the finished products? Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=TexaswBOWhunter;3529028]I am just outside of Mountain Home, lots of rock, if not all rock.. I had good luck with a commercial air compressor, air drill and air hammer... rented the whole deal for the weekend for less than $100....

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!! Where did you rent the hardware? I have been looking for something like that but cannot find it in my area. My property is located 20 miles north of Del Rio, Texas. Anybody know where I can find this type of equipment that TexasBowhunter is using?????

Comment

cedar trees?

Comment

[quote=Signcutter336;3532721]

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!! Where did you rent the hardware? I have been looking for something like that but cannot find it in my area. My property is located 20 miles north of Del Rio, Texas. Anybody know where I can find this type of equipment that TexasBowhunter is using?????
                      Try local rental places such as rsc and briggs. I dont know if McCoys or home depot rents compressors of that size or not. We rent all of our compressors from briggs and rsc, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Downwind View Post
                        If you have a lot of rocks like I have in Harper you can use a concrete hammer drill and a generator.
                        ^ This is what I do. I'm south of Rocksprings and like said, it's almost solid rock.

I have a small generator, a rotary hammer and a 18" x 1.5" bit. I use the rotary hammer to knock the stabilizer plate off of the t-post. Then it only takes a minute to drill the hole and the t-post drops right in. Solid as a rock obviously!

Since I got this setup, putting in t-posts is a non-issue.

Comment

I've done just about everything listed above, sucker rod we cut to a point and used a hammer drill to start then a T post driver. The best was renting an air compressor and driver, by far the fastest and least labor intensive.

Comment

You can also rent a elect jack hammer and generator.

Comment

I have a jack hammer. Trade for hunt. . Bobcat with rock augur bit works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X